6 - Sallow in the Mix

Juliet's POV

"So, what's it like being the most popular girl at school?" Garreth nudged me as we waited for our Potions Class to begin one morning.

It seemed word had spread around the school about my missions and my bravery. All of the students at Hogwarts were eager to get to know me, talk to me, and ask me for favours to go on daring missions. It was like they were looking for excuses to talk to me... and word got around quickly that I was willing to do anything, just for fun. Even the villagers in the surrounding hamlets were keen to engage with me!

I scoffed in response, flipping my hair over my shoulder nonchalantly, "I don't really care about popularity."

"That's exactly what makes you popular," Garreth chuckled. "You've even outranked Imelda, you know? And she is NOT happy about it..."

"Now that is something I care about," I smirked. "I enjoy riling Imelda up."

Garreth looked around cautiously and leaned in close. "Me too," he admitted cheekily.

Imelda had been encouraging me (in her 'Imelda' way) to improve my flying skills by inviting me to race trials. It appeared she was completely clueless about what had happened between Garreth and I.

Class began, and Garreth, who had become my permanent Potions partner, helped guide me through the process of making an Edurus potion. He shamelessly flirted with me during class, as always, using any excuse to touch me, like showing me how to use a knife by holding his hand over mine, and telling me I was doing a good job.

I could feel Sebastian's eyes on us. He and I had become such close friends, and he often became jealous when I spent my time with others. Especially with Garreth. He couldn't stand Weasley, and he especially couldn't stand watching him fawn all over me.

He sauntered over to me and wrapped his arm affectionately around my shoulders.

"Hey pookie," he teased. "Come with me to Feldcroft this weekend. I want you to meet my sister. I told her all about you and now she's dying to meet you. And then afterwards, we can go on a little adventure and blow off some steam..." he winked at me, and shot a smug look at Garreth.

I giggled at this whole interaction, with our inside jokes. Sebastian was flirtatious by nature, he'd been fairly flirty with me since we first met. But I knew what he was doing, amping it up in front of Garreth. I also understood that by 'blowing off some steam' Sebastian was actually referring to blowing up goblins, but Garreth wouldn't know that.

"Oh I'd love to finally meet Anne, Seb," I gushed, genuinely excited by his invitation. "Yes, I'll join you this weekend. And I really do need to blow off some steam... it's been too long."

Garreth raised an eyebrow and shook his head, trying to force a smile, but he was clearly bothered.

***

After meeting Sebastian's sister and Uncle in Feldcroft, I gained a whole new perspective on his home life and his past. My heart broke witnessing how ill his sister was, and watching his Uncle burst any bubble of hope Sebastian had about finding a cure. It was then that I decided I would stop at nothing to help Sebastian help his sister.

Seb wanted to take me on a little tour to show me where his sister had been cursed, but along the way, we came across a camp of goblins. Us being... well, us, we entered into an epic battle with the goblins, and ended up killing every last one of them.

"Ahh, my leg!" I winced at the pain shooting up my leg, after the battle. "I think I pulled a muscle or something."

"Out of practice, are you?" Sebastian teased. "I thought you were out all the time killing goblins and poachers, are you going soft on me Jules?"