1070: Living to the Fourth Stage

Amid the pounding heartbeat that seemed to reverberate in her ears, Bohemia pressed herself tightly against the wall, silently deciding that the moment that person revealed their head, she would immediately deliver a punch to their nose. As she anxiously waited behind the door, she suddenly heard the footsteps stop inside the room.

Shortly after, the door clicked shut with a 'ka-chunk.'

A false alarm. Along with the sound of the closing door, Bohemia's heart dropped back into her chest, and she let out a long exhale as if most of her strength had been drained.

"Lucky break, he didn't come out," the Descartes Spirit commented with a click of its virtual tongue.

Bohemia shot it a withering look.

A series of swaying lights emerged under the door, probably from the person using a flashlight. Since she had already taken everything out, Bohemia wasn't concerned about the intruder rummaging. She took the opportunity to inch her way into the Sandwich Secretary's office and slipped inside.

Having moved back and forth between the two rooms throughout the night, she felt completely drained. Since entering the game, her energy levels had dropped to that of an ordinary person.

By the dim moonlight, she glanced at the clock that had fallen to the ground. It was at least three hours until dawn. Bohemia quietly secured the doors and windows, sitting behind the door with her ears trained on any sounds coming from across the hallway. She couldn't leave the building, so she had to wait for the other party to leave first.

"I think the key issue is why that person knew your safe code," the Descartes Spirit finally broke the silence.

"It's definitely Sandwich Secretary; he somehow saw it and told someone else," Bohemia replied.

"That's unlikely. You had your back to him and were stuffing me into the safe. I happened to be facing Sandwich Secretary at that moment."

"Why do you even differentiate between facing and not facing? Aren't you just a mass?"

"The point is, he had his back to you all along, and there was nothing to cast a shadow behind him, so he definitely couldn't see the code," the Descartes Spirit emphasized.

"Stop being mad," Bohemia muttered. "I initially thought the code was Sandy Winters' birthday, as 1127 looks like a date. However, her passport doesn't have this birthday."

Tonight, two unidentified individuals came in to investigate—one targeted her, and the other targeted Sandwich Secretary. Looking at the numerous bank accounts filled with money, it appeared that her role as a public servant wasn't entirely clean. However, she wondered why they would also investigate Sandwich Secretary.

"Try reasoning it out. As far as we know, Sandwich Secretary has only been involved in one shady affair, cooperating with Detective Gell to provide him an opportunity to kill the criminal, Hersin. If someone's investigating, it's definitely regarding that case. After all, there's hardly anything else of interest on him; they can't possibly want to figure out why his choice of partner is so low," the Descartes Spirit thought carefully for a moment and added, "This isn't real life; it's a game. We should mainly consider the information the game provides."

Bohemia didn't catch the underlying meaning behind the particular sentence it had intentionally sandwiched in.

Now, she was deeply immersed in thought, pondering the mess of documents scattered on the floor. For a while, she remained silent. After some time, she whispered, "Isn't that a bit too quick?"

"Huh? Too quick for what?" The Descartes Spirit suddenly perked up. "Do you have an idea?"

Bohemia, however, fell silent again. It seemed that this time, she had grasped a crucial clue. She delved deeper into her thoughts, feeling that the fog was beginning to lift, and the key points were becoming clearer one by one.