XLVIII

Elijah Mikaelson

IN my long life, I've had the unfortunate experience of magical slumber. More experience than most, whether that he first or second hand, but never before had I experienced such a mix of emotions coming out of one.

Understandably, I wasn't particularly happy about what Morrigan did. I was upset that she thought to resort to this, but most of all, I was quaked with fear.

'Ad sonumn' she had said. I knew that spell, and when I came to consciousness, I saw that she was long gone and several hours had passed.

"Morrigan!" I had shouted, even going as far as to go into the forest next to our house, until my voice was hoarse, as if it were to bring her back to me.

Then I found the letter. That goddamned letter.

She wouldn't be as daft as to walk into her death idly, but lately, she had been a bit more self sacrificing than usual, which was what scared me.

When I found her, lying in the driveway with crusted blood dripping down her face, reminiscent of tears, all emotions other than relief escaped my mind.

"My darling Morrigan," I whisper to no one but myself. "You will be the death of me."

Morrigan Brooks

MY head was pounding and my mouth was dry but all I cared about was whether Elijah was alright.

Cracking my eyes open I look around and while it takes a while for my pupils to adjust, I recognise the room as the living room in my house in Mystic Falls.

"Why would you pull a stunt like that?" I hear a raw voice behind me.

"Elijah- I-"

"Do you really think that was the way to handle it? You could have actually died! I found you and you were so weak!"

Elijah was actually really angry. I could hear it in his voice and see it in his face.

"He would have gone after you," I whisper, a tone just above silent. "He would have killed you, or- or put you on an astral plane, just to torture me! How selfish would I have to be to drag you into this?"

"It's not selfish if I want to help you! Morrigan, I don't think you understand how much... just your letter scared me!"

"You weren't supposed to find that," I whisper.

"Well, I did! I woke up from your spell sixteen hours later and found that you weren't home. I went to Bonnie Bennett and found out that you were not only not in the country, but you weren't even on the continent! But then suddenly the map said you were in Cuba. Then it said Austria. Then it said Serbia!"

"If the roles were reversed would you do the same?" I ask, standing up from my position and ignoring the dizzy spell that overcame me. "If you had some crazy lunatic targeting you would you want me to risk my life?"

"We're not talking about me here!"

"Elijah, I killed him. For real. He's dead, and I'm fine. I did what I did because I love you and it would tear me apart if anything ever happened to you, especially if it was because of me!"

He inhales a shaky breath and runs a hand through his hair before slowly walking closer, cradling the back of my head against his chest.