XXXI

Morrigan Brooks

Flashback to 1863

EMILIE, Vivienne, Eliza and I became quite the group over the next few weeks.

We went on multiple walks. horse rides, and just anything really. Mystic Falls is not what you would call exciting, but I was having a good time nevertheless.

And why wouldn't we stay if we were having a good time?

"Em, what are you reading?" I ask and she lifts the cover to show me.

"Pride and Prejudice. It's really good. You can borrow it after me." She says with a small smile. 

"Thank you," I say, and go back to reading my own book, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

End of Flashback

I WOKE up on Elijah's chest, our limbs tangled together from our slumber.

I knew he was a morning person, but I was surprised he hadn't already left the bed, since I got a peek at the clock and saw it was 9.30.

"I know you're awake," he says softly, and I just bury my face further into his chest.

I groan in protest as he lifts me off of his chest and rolls out of bed.

"No..." I say, dramatically reaching out for him, but only making him chuckle.

"Darling, how are you going to go shopping with Rebekah if you're in bed."

"It's not even ten, I can guarantee you Rebekah's not even up," I say, my eyes not even open.

"I can guarantee you, she is," he says pulling out his phone. "I know she won't be up, so tell Mor we're going shopping for the decade dance. And then I'm setting up at the school now, I will pick her up at one." He reads and I smile.

"That means we have like three and a half hours to lie in bed doing nothing. Or... something. Up to you."

"Love..." he says but trails off and I knew I had him. "I'll give you one."

"Hmm," I murmur, intending to use all the time we have.

I ONLY got an hour and a half in the end before he left to do whatever it was original vampires did.

I spent the other half of the time roaming the woods.

Why I felt inclined to do that, I wasn't sure.

I tried calling the girl, but she didn't pick up. Why that was, I wasn't sure though I did wonder what could be so riveting about a high school dance.

I've seen high school musical three. I know it's sort of a big deal, but this isn't even prom, it's a decade dance.

Sure, I had to hire a governess to teach me basic arithmetic a few centuries ago, seeing as we didn't have high school when I was actually high school age, but other than that, I didn't see the appeal for high school.

It was just a lot of teenagers and adults, both alike in their misery.

I was still walking through the woods when I heard something behind me. Turning around at supernatural speed, I realise I would have been happier and more entertained if it were someone trying to kill me or strip me of my magic or something.