XXXII

Elijah Mikaelson

Flashback to 1578

We arrived in Stockholm earlier this year and if we were human, I think we would be slightly miserable.

The wind and snow, we could all feel, we could all tell it was cold, it just didn't bother us like it did when we were human.

While that was the fact, that didn't stop Rebekah and Morrigan from spending all their marks and more on thick furs and coats.

"I think this style is coming back," Mor says, holding up a cloak that looked the same as the one Rebekah got a day ago.

"Even if it isn't, you could bring it back." My sister says and I try not to groan at how long they were taking.

"True. The locals think we're either freaks of nature or we get really warm furs." Mor says and Rebekah nods.

"Both true." She says. Rebekah looks over Mor's shoulder and her smile only grows, turning cunning. "Don't look now but guess who just walked in," Rebekah says and Mor goes to turn but my sister stops her, but not me.

It was a man, reasonably tall, with blond hair, and green eyes. Nothing overly impressive, though he looked vaguely familiar. When I looked back at the girls, Mor was blushing and Rebekah looked as if she were planning their wedding.

"Lord Oloffson," Rebekah calls and I realise why I recognised him. He was one of the first 'high-ranking' people we met in this society.

"Lady Rebekah. Lady Morrigan." He says with a smile, approaching them. "How are you today?"

"We are most excited for tonight," Rebekah says and I realise she is talking about the ball the Lord is throwing in honour of the winter solstice.

"I am just happy that you both can attend. It is always most exciting with you and your family," the Lord says before noticing I was standing right behind them. "Lord Elijah, forgive me, I hadn't noticed you."

"Yes," I say in a monotone. "Nice to see you, Lord Oloffson," I say, hinting that he should leave, and thankfully he got what I was trying to say.

"Save me a dance, Lady." He says to Morrigan before nodding farewell to Rebekah and me before finally leaving.

"I'm going to pay for this," Morrigan says with a smile she couldn't seem to wipe from her face and leaves to do so.

"That's a lovely shade of green you're sporting, brother," Rebekah says and I hastily unclench my jaw and turn to her.

"I don't know what you're on about, sister," I say. "I will wait for you both outside," and turned my back so I don't have to look at her expression which I'm sure showed me how badly I covered it up.

End of flashback

Morrigan Brooks

I awoke to an empty bed, though when I reached over to his side, I felt the smooth feel of paper.

It was a note. Probably from Elijah, though maybe it was a ransom demand. At least then, my day would be relatively interesting.