Hide Away

Margo's POV

"Here you go, sweetheart. Do you need help getting changed?"

I shook my head no, taking the clean clothes she handed to me while using my other hand to keep the towel tightly over my shoulders.

"Okay, I'll give you some space to change, and I'll be in the living room when you're ready. Just holler if you need anything," she smiled, gently caressing my arm before stepping out of the bedroom and closing the door behind her.

I managed to slip my pants and underwear on fairly easily, my hips cooperating enough to allow me to stand for the few seconds that I needed, but the hard part was getting my sports bra and sweater on. The bruising against my side was getting worse by the minute, stiffening my arm and every breath I took felt as if I was crushing my ribs.

I took in a few small breaths, preparing myself before slipping my right arm into my sports bra and quickly bringing it over my head, stretching out my ribs that screamed at the movement, and I was unable to stop the groan that roared from my lips. I quickly pulled it down over my chest before doubling over, my arms gripped tightly against my torso to try and ease the pain, but the pressure nearly took my breath away.

"Margo, is everything okay?" I heard her knock on the door, and I sealed my lips shut, holding back my painful cries before I could squeak out a "yeah, I'm f-fine.." but it sounded more like I was in the middle of taking a massive dump on her bed.

"That didn't sound very convincing.." she spoke hesitantly from behind the door, and I fought to pull myself together until I had more control over my tone. "I'll be out in a second!"

"Okay, sweetie.."

I waited until her footsteps faded out into the hall before letting a deep sigh, reaching for the hoodie. I put my arms through the sleeves, mentally preparing myself to somehow lift it over my head without screaming, as my ribs were already begging me to stop before I even moved a muscle.

Okay okay.. You can do this.. 1... 2..3!

I threw my arms into the air, straining my ribs passed their weakened limit in order to slip my head through the hoodie, and I doubled over in the bed again, muffling my scream into the mattress. I felt a few tears fall from my eyes and onto the sheets, the pressure in my side increasing with every breath I took, so I stayed there for a few minutes with my arms wrapped around myself.

"Margo, sweetheart, can I come in?" I heard another knock, and I squeezed my arms tighter, causing a small whimper to leave my lips.

Damn it..

"Okay, I'm coming in.."

I quickly used my sleeve to wipe the tears from my cheeks, putting on my best brave face as the door opened, and Lizzie entered with a worried look on her face, her eyes holding mine in a way that forced the truth from my expression. I bit the inside of my cheek in an attempt to hide the grimace that was spreading on my face, but when she walked over to the bed, carefully taking a seat next to me, another tear fled from my eye as I leaned myself closer, and her arm wrapped around my shoulders.

"It's okay, hunny.." she whispered, pulling me closer and planting a kiss on my head. I closed my eyes, partially to hold back the floodgates that were begging to burst from my eyes, but also to absorb the warmth that she was distributing through my body. I was beginning to love this position; Lizzie holding me in her arms.

"You don't have to hide your pain from me, sweetie.. I know that it's probably hard for you to ask for help, but that's what I'm here for. I'm going to take care of you now, and it's okay to lean on me.."