Brighten the Shadows

Margo's POV

My eyes fluttered open slowly, my brain foggy under bright lights that pierced at my tired eyes. My body felt heavy, making it difficult to lift my hand to wipe at my face, and I soon heard shuffling in the room, causing me to quickly turn my head towards the noise.

"Sorry, sweetie, I didn't mean to startle you," Dr Olsen whispered, entering the room and sitting in the stool beside me. I pushed my hands into the bed below me, biting back a groan as I sat myself up and she quickly lifted a hand to my back to assist me.

To my own surprise, I didn't jump at her touch. Maybe it was the grogginess, but regardless, I was thankful for it, finding her hand comforting.

"How are you feeling?"

I shrugged my shoulders, looking down at my fidgeting hands, and I listened to her scoot her chair forward, gently resting a hand on top of mine, causing me to look up. She gave a warm smile, her soft eyes welcoming to my nervous ones, helping relax my racing heart.

"I'm sorry," I whispered quietly, dropping my eyes back to her thumb that delicately swiped over the top of my hand.

"Baby, why are you sorry?" She asked in a soothing voice but I only shrugged my shoulders again, and she tilted her head, lifting two fingers to my chin to lift my gaze back to hers. "You can talk to me.."

"I'm sorry for freaking out," I spoke even quieter, and I blinked back the tears that welled in my eyes, with one escaping down my cheek. She slid her hand up to my face, using her thumb to wipe away the tear, and I felt myself relax at the softness of her touch.

"You don't have to apologize for that, sweetheart. I know you were just scared, and it's okay to be scared sometimes.."

I nodded my head, letting my gaze fall back to the bed. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

I shifted in the bed, my mind going back and forth over the decision to open up or remain closed off. I wanted to trust her and she gave me no reason not to, as she kept all of her promises so far, but I wasn't ready to let all my walls down, so I reverted to my usual shrugging of my shoulders.

"Margo," she spoke softly, and I lifted my gaze once more, finding the strength to hold it this time. "You're safe here. You're safe with me. He can't hurt you anymore..."

The tears quickly returned to my eyes at her words, my nerves not entirely convinced, but I found myself releasing the tension anyway, allowing the tears to stream from my eyes. "Come here, sweetie.."

She leaned forward in her chair, wrapping me into her arms and I pulled myself further into her embrace, unable to stop my body from trembling against hers. "Shhh, I've got you.." I buried my head into her shoulder, the tears continuing to fall, but I let them because she made me feel safe enough to do so. Her hand grazed up and down my back, brushing away the anxious shaking until the silent sobs stopped, and she held on just a little longer.

 Her hand grazed up and down my back, brushing away the anxious shaking until the silent sobs stopped, and she held on just a little longer