New Territory

Lizzie's POV

I stayed on the couch, holding Margo until she was able to calm down a little bit, but even after her breathing evened out and the tears dried, I kept her here in my embrace, and she stayed..

"I've got you, sweetheart," I whispered down to her, and she squeezed my hips gently, letting me know that she heard it.

We watched the rest of the movie in a comfortable silence, Margo staying fairly calm, but when the movie ended, I could feel atmosphere shift, and her anxiety begin to creep up again.

"What are.. what are you going to do with.. me?" She asked very quietly.

"Oh, hunny.. look at me, baby.." I adjusted her in my arms, allowing me to see her face that was full of worry, barely able to look me in the eyes. "Sweetheart, I'm not going to do anything with you.. You'll just be staying with me here, and we can just relax and let you recover. I'm not going to hurt you.."

She pulled the sleeves of her hoodie down over her hands, covering her mouth as she said something else, but it was far too quiet to hear.

"What's that, sweetie?"

"You're not going to send me away?.." my heart fell at her words.

"No, no, baby.." I pulled her back in my arms as the tears began to fill her eyes once again. "I would never do that to you, Margo.. You're safe here with me, nobody's going to take you away. Not unless that's what you want-"

She jumped from my arms, a look of terror written all over her face as she quickly shook her head, and I immediately pulled her back in.
"Okay.. Okay..You're not going anywhere, hunny. Shhhh, It's okay.."

Margo's POV

She rocked us back and forth on the couch, the movement somehow easing the stress in my body. It was hard for me to believe that any of this was real, like it was all too good to be true. Everybody I ever knew ended up using me until they were sick of me, then sending me off to the next person, over and over again. Getting comfortable and relaxing was never a luxury I had, so to think that it was now allowed all of a sudden, after all these years, was difficult to accept.

"How about some dinner, yeah?" She whispered, planting a kiss on the top of my head. "I'm sure you must be starving.. C'mon.."

She helped me up off the couch, and I bit my bottom lip to hold back the groans as she led me to the kitchen table, helping me into a chair.

"How's your pain?" She asked as she pulled away, her eyes full of concern, telling me that she had noticed.

She too, was very observant..

I shrugged my shoulders, keeping my eyes low as I sensed the knowing look that she was giving me, but I denied her wish for me to elaborate.

You're being rude, Margo. She's trying to be nice.

"I'm sorry" I blurted out randomly, catching a glance of her confused but worried expression before immediately dropping my head.

"Hunny, what for?" I kept my head down, shaking it and hoping we'd just ignore it until she reached for my hands, taking the seat beside me. "Hey.." she whispered, and I hesitantly looked up to meet her soft eyes, and warm smile that somehow made it easier to keep eye contact.

"You have nothing to apologize for.. I know you're just nervous, and it's okay to be scared. I just want you to feel comfortable to express your needs, because that's what I'm here for. If you're in pain or your hungry or you just want a hug, you can come to me, okay?"

"But.. But that would normally g-get me.. into trouble.."

God Margo, speak like a normal person..