Chapter 14

Marriage, Rituals, and Omens

At dawn, Olayons' party departed Lakem. The group consisted of twenty warriors and eight women, including Solinay and Aislin.

As they journeyed through the rugged mountains, the air was crisp and filled with the scent of pine trees.

The sound of rushing water from nearby streams provided a soothing melody.

The landscape unfolded before them, revealing breathtaking vistas of towering cliffs and cascading waterfalls.

The sun's golden rays pierced through the dense foliage, casting dappled shadows on the forest floor.

Birds chirped and flitted amongst the branches, their melodic songs filling the air with enchantment.

As they continued their trek, the warriors skillfully caught crabs and fished eels from the nearby rivers, adding a flavorful variety to their meals.

The taste of the freshly caught seafood, combined with the tang of the wild fruits they gathered, created a unique and satisfying blend of flavors.

Amongst the assortment of wild fruits, Aislin's taste buds discovered a hidden gem - the gotmo (native blueberry).

Its vibrant reddish and purple color and sweet juiciness provided a delightful contrast to the sourness she had encountered earlier.

As the day progressed, the party marveled at the beauty of nature surrounding them.

The rugged mountains stood tall and majestic, their peaks reaching towards the heavens.

The gentle breeze whispered secrets through the trees, and the warmth of the sun embraced their weary bodies, rejuvenating their spirits.

The gifts in the carriage and the provisions they carried were a testament to their support for the soon to be newlywed couple.

They pressed on, ready to celebrate the joyous union that awaited them.

Upon arriving in the evening, Aislin noticed a large gathering of people.

"Are we late for the celebration?" Aislin asked, concerned about being late for the wedding.

"No, the Bayas will be held tomorrow." Olayon casually dismissed the worry, explaining that the marriage rituals were still in progress and would take longer.

"Really? How long does it last? A month?" Aislin asked, bewildered by the idea of a marriage ceremony that lasts longer than a day.

"More or less." Olayon said.

"Woah!?! How?" Aislin's jaw dropped in astonishment at his response.

"I will tell you the details, but first we need to eat." Olayon cast an amused gaze upon her.

Nourishment and provisions were bestowed upon them by the gracious host.

As Olayon and Aislin settled on a log, their gaze fixed upon the mesmerizing bonfire, he regaled her with the age-old customs of marriage.

Before the preliminary marriage ceremony, two important rituals must take place: dok-ong and ob-obbo.

Firstly, Ngos-itan and his friends venture into the forest to find the heaviest log they can carry on their shoulders.

This log, known as dok-ong, will be brought to the house of Ngos-itan's future father-in-law.

Ngos-itan, also referred to as "the wood bringer," will prove his strength and ability to protect his own family through this task.