Chapter 6

The House of Courtship

"Solinay, how old are you," Aislin asked.

"I am the same age as Dokipen, fifteen"

"And the chieftain?"

"He is twenty-five,"

Wow, so we are of the same age then, Aislin thought

Aislin and Solinay arrived at the Ebgan house where other young girls and unmarried women sleep. The older girls are teaching the younger girls the art of weaving.

"Solinay, do you also know how to weave?"

"All the girls learn it when they come to the Ebgan, Lady Aislin."

Aislin asked Solinay to teach her how to weave in order to keep herself occupied. However, Aislin made numerous mistakes during the warping, heddling and threading, resulting in a tangled mess of threads.

When the girls saw this, they all giggled at her mess. Although Solinay found it amusing, she did not want to embarrass Aislin.

Feeling discouraged, Aislin believed she was not making any progress, even in the initial stages of weaving. Consequently, she decided to simply observe the other girls in action.

Aislin settled on helping out in preparing food for the men and women at work. Though her contribution was small, Aislin felt a sense of satisfaction and contentment.

As the day draws to a close, the men and women conclude their tasks and begin to make arrangements to go home.

Aislin heard a clamor of teenage boys, clutching their musical instruments outside the Ebgan house.

"Solinay, what are those boys doing outside?" Aislin asked.

"Men-anaganda," Solinay replied. "They are here to serenade one of the girls."

"Really!" Aislin exclaimed excitedly,"so you also do harana, huh? "

"Harana?"

"It's what lowlands call this." Aislin explained.

"Then are one of these boys going to sing for you... hhhmmm," Aislin said teasingly to Solinay.

"No, i am already promised to Dokipen," Solinay retorted with a rosy flush.

"Sana All," Aislin grinned.

The boy is serenading a girl named Diwani, and they engage in a singing duel.

The boy and his friends started the song.

"Longayban,
Daloska kad maseg-ang.
Baken kami baw baknang,
Sat adi mi ekkasan
Di menkotkot si makan.
Ngan adim mangkayatan?"

(Sweetheart,
Come on, have pity on me.
We certainly aren't rich,
For we can't avoid suffering and
Scratching for a living.
Why don't you like me?)

And the girl named Diwani replied to him with,

"Iney, kalalakiyan,
Keg me aped kankanan.
En kami kaseseg-ang
Ay dakamiy sinbayan,
Ay kodo es litagwan."