Chapter 14 - Unusual visitors

False was worried, which was normal for her. She was very paranoid. She walked through Cogsmeade, gingerly resetting her sprung traps that she had put around everywhere in case anything bad happened. When you were a traumatized amnesiac from another dimension with a sketchy backstory, you had to be prepared for anything.

           Get a grip on yourself, False, she told herself, semi-angrily, for being so spooked again. You killed the other False and she and the hermits are gone. You should be safe now, like the sign said.

           And yet I'm still worried.

           False sighed, readjusted the last tripwire hook, and began walking back home, making sure not to trigger any of the newly-set traps. She had the layout memorized by heart, but no one could be too careful. False walked through her door, dodged the flying knives, and tried to stay calm. She was probably just on edge after the second multiversal crisis in a few months. Those new emperors, she wasn't sure what to think of some of them, particularly Farmer Queen Pearl, who looked just like Pearl from Hermitcraft, where the other False came from. Stop thinking about other False. She's not a danger to you anymore.

           But I'm a danger. To everyone. Those new emperors could easily wind up dead in the middle of the night, more victims to add to my sleepwalking body's kill list. False shook her head, and then suddenly noticed Pumpkin Jack out of the corner of her eye, standing there eerily as if he'd been there the whole time. The scarecrow leant on a sign hammered into the ground, with another message for False from either her subconsciousness or who knew who. False tentatively looked at it. 

Beware the stalker

Listen to the helpers

Listen to the voices

           Well, False thought, that's rather straightforward. But which voices, I wonder? 

           All of a sudden she heard a strange sound. Her hand instantly went to the hilt of her sword, but the sound wasn't frightening, it was just very sudden. She listened, and realized that she was now holding a strange note in her hand. False read it, slightly confused. 

Dear forgetful creature, 

Don't fear us. We just want company, for now. And a little help. 

Please come to the mountain near Dawn's gate. 

Bring tea and a kettle. 

           False read it again, even more confused. What was going on? She glanced at the sign again. Pumpkin Jack lopsidedly grinned back at her. Well, the sign told her to listen to the helpers and the voices, maybe the ones who had given her this mysterious note were those helpers and voices, even though the weird sound she had heard probably wasn't a voice. But at any rate, now she needed a kettle. 

           False groaned. How could she have an iron farm and have iron as an export but not have a single iron kettle in her whole empire? Maybe she should go borrow one from another emperor. Yes, that was probably the best idea. She left her empire, walked around all her traps, and set off on the search for a kettle. Her idea had been to ask Sausage, because she trusted him and trusted that she wouldn't kill him and that since she'd been in his tavern she knew for a fact that he had quite a few kettles, but she ran into the Lizzies first. They'd apparently gone on a pranking spree and randomly stolen someone's chest to drive him crazy, and were now running form him, chest in tow, and had ran into the grand architect of Cogsmeade. False never found out who they had stolen the chest from, probably the sheriff, but what was helpful was that when they opened the chest to show her what was in it, she found a kettle.