14

Lav

The smell of pine trees and a warm fire invaded my senses. I was pressed back into the desk and the woman's sobs wracked her body. My heart hurt at the sight to see her so broken, so hurt. Over something she had no control over. She looked for me, for years. That has to mean something, does it?

   This reminds me of when we were kids, we could be cuddled up together in bed watching scary movies, or when I was always so cold that she piled the blankets onto us and koala hugged me until I was warm. Taylor never treated me badly growing up, she always cared for me.

   Her being here was evidence of that. She did care to some extent. My phone beeped and I grabbed it off of the receiver and brought it to my ear. Taylor made a move to step back but I kept my arm tight around her, she wasn't going anywhere.

"Hello," I cleared my throat.

"It's just me Caleb, do you want me to grab lunch," he asked

He's just being nosy.

"Yes just something light for us both please," I said.

"Everything okay?" He whispered through the phone as if someone would hear him.

"It will be" I sighed

"Okay I'll work on lunch," he said and hugged up the phone.

I set the phone back down and wrapped my free arm back around her.

"How long have you known you like woman" I breathe out.

I can't get the idea out of my head how her dad has been treating her all these years. But at the same time, I needed her to say it, to confirm everything that I read in those journals. It's not that I don't believe her- but hearing it from her mouth will set every record straight.

Taylor turned her head to the side so that her cheek was resting on my chest. She didn't bother moving and continued to stay wrapped up.

"The first day I met you" she breathed. Her voice raw from crying sent a pang of guilt to my chest.

" I was scared. I didn't understand why I felt the way I did- so I ran from it" she sighed

" I ran and dated anyone I could drown my feelings out but they just got worse the older she became" she added

I squeezed my arms around her tighter, this is the first time she's opened up to me about how she's felt.

"When my parents decided we were moving I begged them not to. I was so excited about my music but I wouldn't trade our friendship for that. But they forced me. So I chose to act on my feelings that day I kissed you in the yard" she admitted

She pulled back from my embrace to look me in the eyes. My arms were still wrapped around her but there was a good amount of room between us.

"I knew then without a doubt that I liked you, more than a friend should" she explained

I nodded following along with her story. I never thought she liked me in the way I felt about her. I wanted to protect her until she left. I was so hurt and angry and confused. I'd lost my true friend.

"You don't believe me?" Taylor sucked in a breath stepping back.

No

No

NO
I DO

she's misunderstanding my body language. I stepped with her and kept my arms around her.

"I do believe you Taylor" I hummed

Hee gase falters and I truly see how broken and hurt she is. Someone had fucked her up well. Lucky for me the one woman who has is right in my arms now. And it may take some time to heal from all these years but my heart couldn't be more content.