Walks that turn into therapy sessions. Thanks Hazel

Nico

The hospital was crowded. People rushing in and out. I barely paid attention to anyone around me. My mind was focused on one thing. Hazel. I had left my searching to be with Will. He was stressed out, and heartbroken. We don't know if Lexi's going to live. I want her to live, but she has been passed out for days. I came back to comfort Will, as he has comforted me. Every minute that passes makes me more fidgety, more anxious to run out the door and find Hazel. But, I stay. Will and I were sitting in the waiting room like everyone else.

Then, the doors opened to the hospital. Nothing significant. This time though, walking into the building was not a stranger. No, it was Hazel. Seeing her made me so joyful to just lay my eyes on her after so long. But, she was different than before. I guess we all were different, after all the suffering. Hazel held herself higher, and she looked older. there were bags under her eyes from the lack of sleep and water. She didn't have the goofy grin like she used to, but a serious face. Her hand was laced with Frank's. And Frank... he also held himself higher. He had a stern look on his face. They both looked exhausted.

I had run up to them, and the second Hazel talked, I knew her voice had changed. It carried a sense of relief and strength. She was wiser, and understood more. So had Frank.

Now, when I look at her, I don't see a kindergartener. I see a young woman, who has been through too much in her short life.

Hazel wraps an arm around me, which I wouldn't let anyone else do if it wasn't her or Will. Will. I regret yelling at him outside on the bench. I didn't mean it in that kind of way. And to see the pain that it caused him. I want to take back all my words. But all that I said was true. That he does sometimes treat me like I am fragile. That he acts like he can fix all of my problems. I just wish I didn't tell him it when his sister is dying. Impeccable timing, Nico. And how I exploded at him, laying all my burdens on him. Hasn't he gone through enough?

And I friend zoned him. Acted like I don't have a crush on him. I mean, I've been doing it for a little while. Why am I so upset about it now? But seeing Will's reaction to it, the way his lips tightened, makes me want to believe he has a crush on me too. And if he does? He deserves better. He deserves someone who won't lay their burdens on him, someone who knows how to comfort him. In other words, anyone but me.

Will left, right before everyone dog piled on me. Jason was first, since it was his stupid idea, then everyone else followed. I was suffocating. I tried to push out. Still, it made me laugh, just a little. I got up after a minute, to see where Will went. I passed Lexi's room and saw him in there. I walked in and found him close to tears, looking at Lexi. Her heart rate is very low, even I can tell that without being a doctor. Suddenly, before I can even walk over to Will, it goes up for a second, then completely flat. It doesn't rise. Will drops to the ground completely overcome by sorrow, and I sit next to him. I wrap my arm around him, and he lays his head on my shoulder.

"Why?" Will asks, his voice trembling.

I don't have an answer, because I'm wondering about it myself. I just sat there, next to him. But why is Lexi gone? How could she be taken away like that, so easily?

I sit there for what feels like hours. But I won't get up. Will needs me. He's been there for me so many times. The loss of Lexi leaves a hole in my heart. It doesn't seem real to me that she's gone.

The doctors notice us, but leave us alone. I'm thankful for it. Will's dad comes in, after hearing the news. Tears stream down his face as he looks at his daughter. Then he sits down next to Will. Will is still leaning against me, though he's not crying anymore. His face is blank of emotion. Will has always been so strong. It hurts to see him break. But I will help him, I vow to myself.