Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Meg's POV

They say no one mourns the wicked.

Wicked meaning Roy.

I'd be lying if I wasn't a little upset. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little sad.

Only a teeny weeny bit. Like a smidge.

It felt weird to be sad. I coulnd't really identify why I was sad.

Maybe because I was now a murderer. My brother was a murderer and my husband was a murderer. We walked side by side now, with the blood of three people on our hands. It'd never be the same. Everytime I looked into my brother's eyes, I couldn't help but remember that this was the same man who kicked another man over five hundred feet down to his death. Everytime I looked at him, there was something different about him. I couldn't put my finger on it but he reminded me of a storm.

A quiet storm.

If you left him alone for long enough, he'd get pulled back into his own mind and kinda stay there for a while. Thinking and thinking, the storm would blow up inside him. A hurricane, spinning and spinning over and over again.

I made a mental note to talk to him. A good long talk.

That talk would have to wait as much as I wanted to sit over a table with him with a boiling pot of tea. We had trials we had to go through. It was long hours standing before the same judge and the same jury that was just exhausted as we were.

Louis, Liam, and I were all up for trial for obvious reasons. Niall got in trouble for hitting the officer and being involved but wasn't in as big as trouble as the three of us were.

Lawyers were hired and each day I trudged into the huge courtroom to stand before the judge. Everyone came in support - even the children who weren't exactly sure what was going on. It wouldn't be easy telling your children that Mummy, Daddy, and Uncle Li killed a few people because someone tried to kill Auntie Ellie. Maybe I'd never have to.

Luke and his sister - once she was feeling well enough - were there as witnesses I believe. As much as I'd grown to love the boy, I do believe he had just a big of a part in this kidnapping as Roy did.

Louis and I were holding it against each other not to scream at the judge that we were innocent. If he ever wanted to scream at the judge or the other lawyer, he'd look at me and I'd make a funny face or mouth something to stupid to get him to relax. He did the same for me, and everyone was wondering why we were laughing. It really lightened up the mood.

I played with the end of my dress as our lawyer called Ellie up as our evidence.

"I don't want her doing that!" I growled to our lawyer. "It's not fair!" I was ready to pounce on him.

"Mrs. Tomlinson, it's - "

"M-Meg, it's a-all right. I don't want y-you in jail so I'll do it." Ellie whispered. I was so surprised. Ellie had gotten rather quiet after Christmas. I wasn't sure why. No one knew why. Only she did.

Ellie put on a brave face and allowed the jury to see her bruises. She lifted her sleeves up and her pant legs, but broke into tears as she lifted up the side of her shirt, still going no farther than above her rib cage.

"I-I'm s-sorry," She ran back to be sobbing as I quickly put my arms around her and pulled her into my chest. She didn't resist and I rubbed her back soothingly, trying to calm the poor girl down.

"It's all right, sweetie," I whispered in her as she trembeled in my arms. Her breathing hitched as she hid her face into my chest, like she was trying to hide from all the memories of pain she receieved while in captivity.