"I know, I lost track of time," I tell him. "But I would never miss her performance."

"Yeah, I know." Alex laughs at that. "You guys are pretty close. Hey, uh, I wanted to ask you something."

"Oh? About what?" I ask incredulously. This might be the first time we are holding a conversation that is more than just two words.

"Well, you know, Sarah's birthday is coming up and I was wondering what I should get her. Since you know her well," he pauses to look at me, "I thought I'd ask you."

Ohh.. That's actually really nice of him. I didn't take him for a guy who would think about what he should get his girlfriend as a birthday present. Because of the whole cheating thing. But now it makes me happy to know that he cares about Sarah. Maybe he has changed for the better and Sarah was right. Maybe this time around things would go well.

"Something thoughtful, you know? Something that is meaningful and would represent something to her. But don't get her flowers. She hates receiving those," I say to Alex.

I don't want to tell him exactly what Sarah would like to get because then she would easily be able to tell that I'd helped him. It would be better if he tried to figure it out on his own.

"Something thoughtful but not flowers. Got it." Alex nods to himself. "How about a ring or a pendant, then?"

"She would definitely like that," I say, smiling broadly because Sarah is nothing if not a jewellery lover.

******

Dinner tonight was quiet as usual. Throughout the meal, Theo didn't glance my way even once, even though he was sitting right across from me at the table. I get that Adrien was also there with us but would it really hurt to even acknowledge my presence for once?

Adrien had received a call from Dad earlier this evening saying he won't be back for at least three more weeks. These days I feel more and more lonely. School is now the only place I actually talk to three other people.

As I get ready for bed, my phone vibrates on the bedside table with a text notification. Picking my phone up, I get inside the covers of my bed and turn off the bright lights of my room.

Sarah: heyyy
Sarah: are you sleeping

Me: yes

Sarah: perfect

Huh? I keep my phone away on the bed but then the screen lights up with an incoming call from Sarah. Groaning to myself, I receive the call.

"Hey," comes the chirping voice of Sarah as soon as I receive the call. "Did I wake you up?"

"No, you didn't," I mutter back.

"Alright then. Did you decide what you'll be wearing at Noah's party tomorrow?"

"Is this seriously why you called me right now?" I swear to God, if she says yes–

"Um, yes?"

"Then I'm hanging up."

"Wait, no, don't! ...Amy?" She waits a few seconds on the line to see if I actually hanged up. When she realised I didn't, she breaths out a sigh and says, "Just hear me out first."

"Okay, what is it?" I say, completely uninterested in whatever she has to say about the party.

"I called to give you a piece of advice."

"Advice?"

"Mhm. Since you don't go to parties that often, I thought I'd help you out. Wear something sexy for tomorrow, k?"

"I don't know about that, Sarah."

"What do you mean? You are coming to the party, right?" She asks from the other end. "Amy?"

"I don't think so..."

"What? But why? What happened?" She starts flooding me with questions.

I want to tell her that it's because I don't want to give any false hope to Noah. I'm too shy to turn him down directly. And because I don't say anything, he is progressively getting more and more comfortable with me with his subtle touches and innocent kisses.

And it's also partly because I don't want to upset Theo any further by being with Noah. Not that he would even know if I go to his party tomorrow or dress sexy for that matter.

Wait, that's right. Theo wouldn't even know where I'm going or what I'm wearing because he's too busy ignoring me. So why should I stop myself from going out and having fun? Not that parties are my definition of having fun. But you get the point.

"You know what, I'll go." I say after a while. What could go wrong?

"Wait, really? Amy, you promise you won't change your mind again?" Sarah asks in a hopeful voice.

"Yup. I promise."

———

A/N: don't forget to drop a vote (☆) and comment how you felt about this chapter. AND the next few chapters are gonna be *interesting* so buckle up ;)