Tʜᴇ Oᴠᴇʀʟᴏᴏᴋᴇᴅ (3)

Start from the beginning

He looks to Luisa, "You know, I actually used to be the one with the plan. Well, or at least a plan B. Now I don't know." He turns back to Cora, "Now I'm thinking maybe you were right. You know, maybe-maybe we are pretty much useless. Maybe all we really do is show up and find the bodies. I don't want to find my father's body."

"You won't." Luisa shakes her head, "Scott won't let that happen. We're gonna figure it out."

Stiles nods with a small smile. "You know, she's a lot easier to talk to when she's completely unconscious."

Luisa laughs, "Yeah."

They look toward the door as they hear a noise. Stiles moves closer to the window with Luisa right behind him. He puts his arm out to push her back as the twins come into view. They both back up as their hearts race.

Stiles again moves toward the window on the door. They both jump as Scott appears.

"Jesus christ." Luisa says

"Stiles ! Stiles, open the door !" Scott says with Peter on his arm

Stiles rushes to push the door open, "Sorry."

"Help me get him in."

Scott and Stiles help Peter to sit on the other side of Cora.

"Where's Derek and Jennifer ?"

"And Ariane ?" Luisa adds

"I have to go back for them and my mom."

"Okay, two problems. Kali's got the keys to this thing, and we just saw the twins, like, 30 seconds ago."

Scott looks around and nods, "Stay here."

______________________________________

Ariane looks down at her phone again. The only response she got from Scott was that he was coming, but he hasn't shown up.

"Anything ?" Jennifer asks

Ariane looks over at her, "What do you think ?"

Jennifer sighs before she turns to Derek, "Derek, I know what you're thinking... that I'm using you, that everything that has happened between us is a lie, or that I'm evil. A bitch. But I hope you're not thinking the most superficial thought... "Is that her real face?" "The slashed, mutilated face revealed by the mistletoe.. Is that what she really looks like?"

Ariane watches as she walks closer to him. "Julia Baccari. That was my name."

"I don't care." He says

"I guess I should have changed it to something with different first letters. I think I read somewhere that people always pick aliases that are subconsciously derivative of their original name. It's a way of not completely letting go of your identity, since your name is so tied to your sense of self. Do you know what else is ? Your face. The one that's supposed to be staring back at you in the mirror. Not some hacked up atrocity you can't even recognize."

"I still don't care."

"But I bet you're curious. I bet you wonder exactly what happened."

"You were an emissary. They tried killing you along with the rest of the pack. Mystery solved." He says finally looking at her

"I was Kali's emissary. And I was the one she couldn't kill." She says with a slight smirk, "For years, the Nemeton's power was virtually gone, like the dying ember of a burned out fire. But a few months earlier, something happened that caused that ember to glow a little brighter. Something that gave it a spark of power again. The sacrifice of a virgin." She says turning to Derek.

"You didn't know what you were doing back then, but killing Paige in the root cellar, sacrificing her there, gave power to the Nemeton." She says as Derek looks at the ground. Ariane looking toward him, but trying to make it seem like she wasn't. "You gave it power again. You gave me power. Just enough to hold on to life a little longer. Long enough to be found."

"You know mistletoe is important to druids, but do you know the myth of why people kiss under mistletoe ?"

Ariane sits up with a sigh. The last thing she wanted to hear was Jennifer go on about something she didn't care about.

"No." Derek says

"It's a norse myth. Baldur, the son of Odin, was the most beloved by the other gods, so much that they wanted to protect him from all of the dangers in the world. His mother, Frigg, took an oath from fire and water, metal, stone, and every living thing, that they would never hurt Baldur."

"At a gathering, they tested him. Stones, arrows, and flame were all hurled at him. Nothing worked. But there was one God who wasn't so enamored of Baldur. The God of mischief, Loki. Loki discovered that Frigg had forgotten to ask mistletoe, a tiny, seemingly harmless plant. And completely overlooked. Loki fashioned a dart out of mistletoe, and it killed Baldur. Frigg was heartbroken. She decreed that mistletoe would never again be used as a weapon and that she would place a kiss on anyone who passed under it."

"So now we hang mistletoe underneath our door during the holidays, so that we will never overlook it again. We were the overlooked, the emissaries. It was a mistake Deucalion and the alphas should never have made, because I made an oath of my own. From virgins and warriors, from healers, philosophers, and guardians, to loan me their power so that I could teach these monsters that their monstrous actions would never be overlooked."

"You killed innocent people."

"So have you. I know the real color of your eyes, Derek. And I know what it means. I'm not asking you to save just my life. I'm asking you to save everyone they'll ever hurt again."

"You can't beat them." Ariane says

"Are you sure about that ? Boyd asked Derek right before he died, what happens to a werewolf during a lunar eclipse ? You didn't get the chance to tell him, but you know, don't you ? What happens, Derek ? During the total lunar eclipse ?"

"We lose all our power."

______________________________________

Ariane and Derek look up as the lights finally flicker on. He reaches over and pushes the button.

"Derek," Jennifer says, "please look at me."

Derek looks up at the elevator doors and sees Jennifer's true form reflecting back at him. Ariane looks over and sees her face all slashed up and her eyes were now a piercing blue.

Her heart races as Jennifer looks over at her.

______________________________________

Luisa, Peter, and Stiles jump out as a car pulls out. Isaac hops out.

"All right, come on, come on, come on !"

"I got her. Okay, get the door." Peter says as he places Cora in the back seat.

"Stiles, let's go !" Isaac says as Peter closes the door.

"Stiles !" Luisa says. Before she knows it, he runs off toward the hospital. "Stiles !"

"Luisa, get in." Isaac says as he closes the car door. She debates with herself to follow Stiles.

She then realized that Ariane hadn't come back for her.

"Luisa !" Isaac says

"My sister." She says before she runs into the hospital.

"Wait !" His words fall on deaf ears as she keeps going. She bumps against walls as she rushes around corners. She breathes heavily as she turns down a hall. She sees an elevator wide open with two bodies lying there.

She breaks into a sprint as she goes down the hall. She slows as she gets closer and her breath hitches as she sees Ariane and Derek lying there.

She walks in and immediately bends down by her sister. "Ariane."

She taps her face lightly as she holds her head in her hands. She takes a deep breath as she runs her hands through her hair. She then realized, that there was blood coming down her forehead.

"No, no, no, no."

______________________________________