51. Nancy's Difficult Decision

~Unedited~

| |

When the group landed Jack immediately stood up and reversed the hole in the ceiling where they fell through, Ella turned to check on her people, but the Doctor was already rounding on Rose, “could’ve used a warning!”

Rose sighed in exasperation, “oh! The gratitude!”

Jack was apparently still stuck on their earlier exchange, “who has a sonic screwdriver?!”

“I do!” the Doctor exclaimed turning back towards Jack.

“Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks, ooh this could be a little more sonic?” at his jab Ella had to let a little snort go at that because he had a point.

“What, you’ve never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?” before Ella’s entertainment could go on any further, more patients sat up in their beds, all shouting for their mummies. The group turned to a door and Jack pointed his blaster, but nothing happened.

“It’s the special features! They really drain the battery!”

“The battery?!” Ella asked while the Doctor brushed by her to unlock the door with his trusty screwdriver that didn’t run on batteries.

“That’s so lame,” Rose added on after Ella.

“Well, I was going to send for an upgrade, but somebody’s got to blow up the factory!” he pointedly shouted in the Doctor’s direction.

“Oh, we know,” Rose gestured between her and Ella, “first day we met he blew our job up, that’s practically how he communicates.” The Doctor took over the conversation after that, mostly just figuring out what they had that could help them which wasn’t much.

“That assets conversation went in a flash, didn’t it?”

Finally, the Doctor couldn’t hold off his curiosity any longer, “so, where’d the two of you find this one then?”

“Doctor,” Rose warned in a low voice.

“They were hanging from a barrage balloon; I had an invisible spaceship. I never stood a chance!” Jack brought up his wristlet and began typing, it looked to Ella that he swore under his breath before he disappeared in a flash of blue light.

| |

Once Nancy had left the Doctor at the hospital, she went back to the house she’d been scoping for weeks, she had left in a hurry after all, and she still had mouths to feed. After hurriedly stuffing her knapsack with random cans and bread, she was about to leave but the toys and every type of device in the house switched on and Nancy was again haunted by the sound of Jamie’s voice. But it wasn’t just his voice because soon after he walked in, the little boy turned monster she had convinced was her little brother, but what choice did a young single mother like herself have but to lie? When his once sweet voice had stopped so did the toys and he left, Nancy sat there and cried for a few minutes for her lost child. She tried to leave but was apprehended by the man of the house, using her knowledge of his illicit affairs she managed to manipulate him into giving her whatever she needed.

Nancy had a plan; she was going to find out what happened to her little boy, and she required wire cutters. Now armed with the right tools and even more food after a second look in their pantry she tried to figure out where the kids might have gone after making their hasty exit at dinner. Nancy was annoyed to discover that they were exactly where she thought they would be, “what are you all doing here? Different house every night, I told you!”

Jim, who was clicking away at a typewriter, answered, “we thought you were dead. Or you’d run off.”

“I didn’t,” Ernie interjected, “I knew you’d come back for us.” Nancy took a seat and began emptying her sack for the kids, Ernie told her that Jim found the typewriter in the junk. He was trying to write a letter for his dad despite the fact that he couldn’t read or write and didn’t know how to send a letter in the first place. The sound of Jim clicking away at the machine didn’t take long to grate on Nancy’s last nerve, she let frustration seep into her tone when she asked Jim to stop with the noise.