50. "Are you my mummy?"

~unedited~

| |

Once Jack had explained how his con was supposed to work, find a harmless piece of space junk and throw it at the nearest Time Agent, convince them it was valuable and name a price. The agent puts up 50%, and a German bomb falls on it, the agent never knows what they paid for and never suspects they’ve been had, Jack buys them a drink with their own money, and it ends in the perfect self-cleaning con. “The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners. Pompeii’s nice if you want to make a vacation of it, but you’ve got to set your alarm for volcano day,” Jack had started laughing while the Doctor just stared at him. “Getting a hint of disapproval.”

“Take a look around the room, this is what your harmless piece of space junk did.”

“It was a burnt-out medical transporter, it was empty!”

The Doctor looked up at the girls, “you two,” he spun on his heels. Ella and Rose followed close behind, but before they left Ella turned back towards Jack.

“You coming?” He quickly got up and followed.

“I even programmed the flight computer so it wouldn’t land on anything living, I harmed no one! Look, I don’t know what’s happening here but believe me, I had nothing to do with it.”

The Doctor stopped walking and turned around to face Jack, “I’ll tell you what’s happening. You forgot to set your alarm, it’s volcano day.” A siren from outside sounded.

“What’s that,” Rose asked looking out the windows.

“The all clear,” Jack answered.

“I wish,” the Doctor turned back on his heels and began marching again.

“Wait, where are we even going?” Ella caught up to the stormy Doctor, pushing her glasses up when they slid down.

“Upstairs.”

| |

The group ended up outside the room where the first victim was taken, the Doctor asked Jack to get the door open. “What’s wrong with your sonic,” Rose quietly wondered as Jack pulled out a blaster and disintegrated the lock.

“Nothing, he’s just testing him,” Ella whispered back.

“Sonic blaster, 51st century. Weapons Factories of Villengard?” the Doctor asked while slowly approaching Jack and holding his hand out wanting to look at his blaster, Jack handed it over without question.

“You’ve been to the factories?”

“Once.”

“Well, they’re gone now, destroyed. The main reactor went critical, vaporized the lot.”

Ella glanced at the Doctor with a soft smile at the memory, “that was one of our early dates!”

“Like I said, once.” He handed the blaster back to Jack, “there’s a banana grove there now.”

“He likes bananas,” Ella told no one in particular, now she wasn’t allowed to touch people she found herself commentating.

“Bananas are good,” the Doctor stated before finally going into the room. The three humans surveyed the damage they walked into, papers strewn about, mostly busted equipment and filing cabinets in a state of disarray. “So, what do you think?”

“Something got out of here.”

“Yeah, and?”

“Something powerful. Angry,”

“Powerful and angry,” the drawings on the wall and the teddy bear suggested the angry powerful thing was a child, a child looking for his mom. The Doctor walked up to the tape machine and played it, the sound of the old doctor Constantine asking questions and an answering child’s voice rang out into the room.