XXII. Distractions from the Silence

Unedited

| |

"What's wrong with the Doctor? I've never seen him this ... quiet." Rose had voiced one day while the girls explored the Tardis, touring the Tardis had to be done in shifts with some time and space shenanigans thrown in every now and then. So, far they had discovered a rainforest, a garden, a movie theater that would put any earth one to shame, three observatories, and a handful of bedrooms that must have belonged to the Doctor's old friends. Ella sighed as her mind traveled back to the Doctor, although her mind never really strayed far from him.

"I don't know, he's not talking to me. I thought we made it past this brooding and tendency to suffer in silence." The amount of distress calls they've been answering have gone up exponentially and the implications were troubling to the brunette. She knew that after a profound and life altering loss than sometimes one finds themselves trying to save everyone they can. The Doctor must be so filled with guilt, but one would be after just fighting in a terrible interplanetary war for centuries on end and through countless alternate timelines.

"You two need marriage counseling," Rose muttered as she looked through an opening on her right and discovered an arcade full of vintage pinball machines and modern first-person shooting games, along with various racing games. "Hey! Let's get lost in here for a while!" Rose rushed into the spacious room and immediately went for a pinball machine while Ella wandered about and saw a zombie game.

"We don't need counseling," Ella replied to Rose's comment from earlier as she loaded up the screen and took out the gun attached to the game. The blonde rose an eyebrow at her as Ella immediately began shooting zombies with the determination that someone might have if they really were surrounded by the undead.

"Clearly," Rose mumbled sarcastically, then a wide grin broke on her face because she got the high score on the pinball game she was playing. No one else's score was recorded so it wasn't that hard to beat, she quickly typed in her initials, RMT. After a few more games, trying to beat the high score she just got, Rose was bored with that one and meandered over to a racing game. Not too far from where Ella was yelling and cursing in French at pixelated zombies as they surrounded her character. Rose didn't want to wander terribly far from her friend, she was still new to the infinite time machine she was currently calling her home.

"This reminds me of Holo 3," Ella stated as she continued shooting down the undead, a messy carpet of decaying bodies at her feet already.

"What's that?" Rose wondered as she had to take a sharp turn in the racing game she was playing.

"Zombie planet." Ella answered nonchalantly and finally gunned down the last corpse, she managed to beat the second score on the list, so she typed in her initials to take her spot, ERD. Technically she didn't have to use her initials, but it seems like everyone else on the high score list did the same and used only their initials. It would have bothered Ella to the end of the universe if she was the one that messed up this mildly pleasing pattern.

"Wait, what?" Rose was preoccupied with passing cars in her race that she barely caught what Ella said.

"Planet where zombies come from. They transmit a virus that kills people and brings them back. Although according to the Doctor, they're not called zombies." Ella contemplated whether she wanted to play the game again to see if she could beat the highest score. She quickly changed her mind when she realized that she could never reach that number, maybe if she spent days in here, she could but she didn't have the patience for that.