XXXV. Knowledge is Power

~unedited~

| |

There was a loud clang as the elevator door opened, Rose, Ella and the Doctor piled in, Ella shamelessly invited Cathica along with them, “come on. Come with us.”

The woman studied Ella, debating, weighing her options, “no.” Immediately after she said that a little flicker of an emotion that she didn’t understand made her heart ache.

The Doctor couldn’t have been happier though, “bye then!”

“Well, don’t mention my name. When you get in trouble, just don't involve me.” She turned, heels clicking with her swift exit.

“That's her gone. Adam's given up. Looks like it's just us,” the Doctor beamed at Ella and Rose.

“Yeah,” the girls smiled back, and the Doctor didn’t notice Ella’s falter.

“Good.” The Doctor typed in the key code and they shot up the space station, the doors opened with another loud clang and the air that greeted them was freezing. “The walls are not made of gold. You two should go back downstairs.”

“You must know that will never happen,” Ella declared as her and Rose walked ahead of him, he stared after them with a calculating look. Soon they found themselves in a room containing a white-haired man and about six other people at computer screens.

“You know, you are fascinating.” The Editor complimented them when they joined him on the platform overlooking the others at the computer screens. “Satellite Five contains every piece of information within the Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire. Birth certificates, shopping habits, bank statements, but you three, you don't exist. Not a trace. No birth, no job, not the slightest kiss. How can you walk through the world and not leave a single footprint?”

Ella studied the people sitting at screens to distract herself from that oddly poetic line, she made it to the last person. Rose must have seen the same thing because the blonde rushed forward, “Suki. Suki! Hello? Can you hear me? Suki? What have you done to her?” Rose shouted.

“I think she's dead,” the Doctor replied in a monotone that Ella recognized.

“She's working,” Ella’s voice cracked because of how morbid that was. “Is it because of the chips in their heads?”

“Yes, they keep going on. Like puppets.” The Editor marveled at the group.

“Oh! you’re full of information! But it’s only fair that we get some information back because apparently, you’re no one. Do you know how rare it is not to know something? Who are you?” The Doctor as usual brushed off his question, it was difficult to get answers out of him on a good day, so this stranger definitely wasn’t going to be able to. Ella reached for Rose’s hand when the Doctor said it was time to leave but a few of the undead workers grabbed them and held them in place.

Ella huffed in annoyance, “seriously? How often can one be held hostage by zombies?”

“Is that a normal occurrence,” Rose asked while the Editor was still trying to get answers out of the Doctor.

“Not really. But it’s weird that it happened twice.”

“Three times. Remember Charles Dickens?” Rose lifted an eyebrow as she recalled the more detailed story that she was told on one of those many nights the girls spent talking and catching up since Rose boarded the Tardis.