Chapter 5

It's now been a month since the two fated mates found each other. Cole is about to head out to the kelp forest when his parents stop him. 

"You sure have been going out there a lot, that all you do, all day," his dad says. 

"Oh, well, I like it out there, there a bunch cool stuff to see and study," Cole tells his dad. 

"Well, kiddo, we were thinking we'd join you today," Todd says. 

"Yeah, I'd love to get some photos in a kelp forest, and you've been going out there so much, there must be a lot to see," Cole's mom says. 

"Oh, well, I guess if you really want to, but it's not that exciting, so I don't know if you'd like it," Cole says, trying to convince them not to come. If his parents come then he will either not get to see Mal or he will have to tell his parents about him. 

"Oh, nonsense, we would love to see what you've been up to this past month," Todd says. "Now come on, let's go," he says and climbs in the dingy and Mary soon follows. Cole hesitates for a second before following him parents. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This past month with Cole has been great for Mal. He has never been this happy before. Cole is the best person Mal could ever wish for as a mate. They are so deeply in love with one another. 

When Mal sees Cole's boat reach the reef he quickly swims over to it, and without thinking, grabs Coles arm and hugs it to his chest. Cole is surprised by Mal's actions, but he still is relieved to have his mates touch. Then he remembers his parents are here. 

Mal didn't realize that there were other humans on the boat. When he looks to them, they both remind him of Cole. Even so, he is a bit freaked out and retreats into the water. 

Mary and Todd have no idea what they just saw. A boy with green hair and a tail just jump out of the water and grabbed onto their son. They both just stare at their son in shock, not understanding what just happened. 

In the water, Mal hides under the boat, not wanting to leave him mate but also not wanting to be around those new humans. 

"Son, what was that?" Todd asks. 

"Um..., just-, hold on a sec," Cole says. Cole then reaches him hand into the water looking for Mal. 

Mal sees this from under the boat. He hesitates for a second but eventually grabs his mates hand. He speaks his eyes above the water, still hand in hand with Cole. He dosen't rise anyfuther, keeping under the safety of the ocean. 

"Mom, dad, this is Malik," Cole tells his parents. Mary and Todd look to the strange boy. They have never seen anything like him before. they can see that he has a tail through the water but the jumper half of a human, almost like he's...

"It's a merman," Mary says in realization. Her husband looks even more shocked at the revelation. 

"Yeah, Mal's a merman," Cole tells his parents, confirming their suspicions. 

"Can it understand us?" Todd asks. 

"Yes, he can understand us," Cole says, accentuating the 'he' part. Cole doesn't like his mate being called an 'it'. Mal realizes that these humans are Cole's parents. Mal has heard a lot about Cole's parents. Apparently they love the ocean just like Cole does. Hopefully they don't hate Mal for what he is. Mal wants to make sure he makes a good impression on his mates parents. 

"Honey, this... is a lot to take in," Mary tells her son. 

"Yeah, I mean, merpeople are real, it's... crazy," Todd says. 

"So, this is what you've been doing out here? hang out with a merman?" Cole's mom asks. 

"Yeah, Mal is the one kept me safe during that storm a month ago," Cole tells his parents. Mary looks at her son in shock. She thought that the storm did not reach him then, but it turns out it did. her son could have died, but he didn't, because this merman protected him. she turns to Malik and says,

"Thank you, for protecting my son." Mal nods, knowing that if he talks she won't be able to understand him. 

"Also,,there's something else I should tell you guys," Cole say. 

"there's more?" Todd asks. 

"Yeah, just a little bit more," Cole tells his dad. Mal realizes what Cole is talking about. 

"Your gonna tell then were mates?" Mal asks Cole and unlike his parents Cole understands his speech. 

"Yeah, I'm gonna tell them," Cole replies. 

"Tell us what?" Mary asks. She doesn't know what her son is going on about. What more could there possibly be? 

"Ok so, basically, all merpeople have a mate.." Cole then tells his parents all about merfolk and mates, and about Mal and Cole's relationship. As Cole talks, Mal watches Mary and Todd's expressions. In the beginning there having trouble understanding where this is going but towards the end they understand and looked shocked.  

When Cole finishes, he watches his parents faces. 

Mary and Todd are both shocked. Their son is in a relationship with a merman. They've always known that Cole was gay, so the 'man' part isn't shocking, but the 'mer' part is. to them, in their scientific minds, merfolk don't exist, it's impossible. All sorts of people have studied the idea of merpeople and I just doesn't add up. You can't have a combination of a human and fish. 

Yet, here they are, looking at a merman. It's right in front of them, they can't deny it. It's not a figment of their imagentations, it's real. It's so hard to believe, but they have no choice but to. 

Mal and Cole looks to each other and Cole gives Mal a reassuring smile. Even if his parents don't accept them, Cole won't let anything happen to Mal. 

Mal is starting to get worried by the silence and he squeezes Cole's hand. 

"Are you guys gonna say anything?" Cole asks his parents. Mary and Todd looks to each other. They don't really know what to say. Todd doesn't know what to make of his son's relationship. he is a scientist, interspecies relationships are complicated. with in the animal kingdom, sure it happens sometime, but with humans it never happens. then again, there was never a chance for it to happen. But with a species like merpeople, it could happen, they are both intellectually similar. It has happened. 

All that Mary wants if for her son to be happy. Todd and her have been together since high school and they are still happy together. Mary wants that for her son and if what Cole says is true about mates, then he can have that with this merman. Even though this is all very new for her, she can see that her son is happy from the way he looks at the merman, Cole loves this merman and she can see it in his eyes. There is only one question left to ask. 

Mary looks to the merman and asks,

"Do you love him?" 

Mal is taken aback by the question but he nods vigorously. Mal loves Cole with all his heart and Cole loves Mal just the same. 

"Well, good, cause it's very obvious that he loves you," Mary says, smiling at her son. As long as they're in love Mary couldn't care less about the fact that Mal's a merman. Her son is happily in love, and Mary couldn't be happier for him. 

Although Todd is a science guy, he can appreciate the love his son has for this merman. It may take some getting used to for Todd but he's happy if his son is happy. 

"Son, you know this is a lot to take in, but as long as you're happy, that's all that matters," Todd tells his son. 

"Thanks, dad," Cole says.  For the rest of the day Mary and Todd get to know Mal more, they ask him all sorts of questions. Seeing how happy Cole is, having his parents know about his relationship, Mal is feels more comfortable with his mates parents. He's excited to see where this will go.