003: Sokovia Accords

After getting back to New York, the group went straight back to the tower

"You guys put on quite a show today." Tony says, seeing his daughter and the others entering the tower.
"Very funny, Stark." Sam says.
"How did your presentation go to the MIT students?"Aria asks, walking over the her father.
"It went okay." Tony says, pulling his daughter into a hug. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there for your first mission."
"Its okay. I get it. You had to present BARF." Aria says jokingly, as she hugs her father back.
"Binarily Augmented Retro- Framing." Tony says.
"You really got to work on the acronym." Aria says, pulling away from her father.
"I know." Tony agrees, laughing. "But at least we know that your gonna get a good education when you go to college. MIT had already said they would love to have you as apart of their college."
"Where's Pepper?" Aria asks.
"Not sure." tony says.
"You okay, dad?" Aria asks, seeing the look on Tony's face.
"I just talked to a mother of one of the young boys who died in the battle of Sokovia. She's just said a couple things that got to me. that's all." tony says.
"Like what?" Aria questions.
"Nothing for you to worry about, honey. Don't you have a test to study for tomorrow?" Tony asks.
Tony then kisses his daughters head, before walking away, leaving Aria stood there confused.

~~~~~

A MONTH LATER...

Aria was stood at her locker with Gwen, when the whole corridor went quiet. Aria looks around confused before turning to the TV where the news was playing.
'11 Wakandans were amoung those killed during a confrontation between the avengers and a group of merchenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditional reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos, when the attack occured.'
'Our peoples blood is spilled on foreign soil not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all.'
'The Wakandan king went on to say...'
"It's crazy." Ned says, as him and Peter walk over to the two girls.
"You okay, Ari?" Gwen asks, seeing the look on her best friends face.
"I'm fine." Aria says, slamming her locker shut.
"You sure?" Peter asks.
"I just... I'm not feeling well. I'm going to head home. I'll see you guys tomorrow when I feel better." Aria says, before walking away, without giving her friends chance to reply.

As Aria was walking to meet Happy, she froze as she heard loads of people walking down the street talking about how the avengers killed loads of innocent people, and saying loads of awful things. She looks around, shocked and a little hurt. After everything the avengers did for all the city, and now they were talking awfully about them.

~~~~~

Aria was sat in her room, she was on her bed, twirlling her powers around her hand, when Steve appears in the doorway.
"Hey." Steve says.
"Hey." Aria replies.
"You okay?" Steve asks.
"Yeah. How's Wanda?" Aria questions.
"Struggling, but she'll be okay." Steve says, walking over and sitting beside the young girl he called his niece.
"People are saying awful things, Steve." Aria tells him.
"I know." Steve says before sighing. "I should have clocked that bomb vest long before you and Wanda had to deal with it. But Rumlow said 'Bucky' and suddenly I was a sixteen year old boy in Brooklyn, again. And people died. It's on me."
"It's on all of us." Aria says. "We all played a part in it."
"This job... we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes it doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that... next time, maybe nobody gets saved." Steve says.
"You sound like you've giving that speech before." Aria says with a laugh.
"I did. A couple minutes ago." Steve says.
Aria laughs and nods, knowing just who he gave that talk to. All of a sudden Vison comes through the wall.
"Vis. We talked about this." Aria says.
"Yes, but the door was open, and... Mr Rodgers wished to know when Mr Stark was arriving." Vison says. "I'll use the door."
"Where did my dad go?" Aria asks, looking at Steve.
"Oh, and apparently he's brought a guest." Vision says, turning to look at the pair by the door.
"Who?" Steve asks.
"The secretary of State." Vison says, before leaving,
"Great." Aria says.
Steve looks at the teenager, who shrugs her shoulders. The pair then get up and head to the main room.

~~~~~

Secretary Ross was going on about when he had a heart attack.
"The world owes the avengers an unpayable dept." Secutary Ross says. "You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... who would prefer the word 'viglantes'."
"And what word would you use, Mr Secretary?" Aria asks.
"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals... who routinely ignore soverign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose... who frankly, seemed unconcerned about what they leave behind?"
Ross then shows videos from 'The Battle of New York', Washington DC, Sokovia and Lagos.
"Okay, that's enough." Steve says.
"For the past four years you have operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the goverments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Ross says before placing a large document on the table.
Wanda grabs it and Aria looks at it over her shoulders.
"The Sokovia accords?" Aria asks.
"Approved by 117 countries it states that the Avengers should no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they shall operate under the supervision of a United Nation Panel, onlt when and if that panel deems it necessary." Ross says.
"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve argues.
"Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross asks. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes, you can bet there be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me this is the middle ground."
"So there are contingiouse?" Rhodey asks.
"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords." Ross says. "Talk it over."
"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asks.
"Then you retire."