39. Bailed out P2

When we got home, I went up to my bedroom like my parents had told me to. I heard them talking, and eventually shouting.

"I can't believe she'd do something so god damn stupid!" my mother shouted.

"Nat, I know you're angry at her bu-" dad tried calming mom down.

"Yes, I'm angry! Im furious! She knew we were out on a mission! But of course she had to do something stupid like that!"

I sat on my bed, angrily picking my nails. Why the fuck had I gone ahead with it? Why had I listened to the rest of the gang and tried to rob that shop? I hated myself for it - I never meant to get arrested. I didn't think before I did it. I just wanted some excitement in my life. Not the same boring routine of I get up, eat breakfast, go to school, come home and eat dinner. All by myself. I knew why my parents were out, it was their job, and I didn't mind it. But it just got lonely sometimes.

As I sat drowned in my negativity, I didn't hear the door open.

"Y/n," Dad said. "Downstairs."

Looking up, I saw he was clearly angry, despite his quiet voice. He left, going back downstairs. I waited for a minute, before following. When I got downstairs, my mom was looking out the window, her back to me. Dad was perched against the arm of the sofa. I waited nervously, fidgeting with my fingers.

"Why did you rob that shop?" mom snapped suddenly, spinning around to glare at me.

I looked at my feet and mumbled, "It wasn't for me."

"Y/n, look at your mother," Dad told me sternly.

I sighed and looked up, struggling to keep eye contact with mom.

"I'm so fucked aren't I," I mumbled with a slight laugh.

"Sorry?" mom asked coldly.

"Nothing," I muttered.

"No, tell me!"

"I said 'I'm so fucked aren't I?'" I snapped.

"Drop the god damn attitude!" Mom shouted.

"Alright! God!" I sighed.

"Y/n, watch your language!" Dad told me.

"She swore too," I pointed out.

But, that was stupid. Very stupid. Mom came over and stood right in front of me, glaring down at me out of her fiery green eyes.

"Y/n Belova Romanoff-Rogers, be careful of your mouth!" she yelled, raising a hand up in the air.

I flinched involuntarily, then tried to cover it up. It didn't work of course. Both my parents noticed.

"Y/n, why did you flinch like that?" Dad asked.

"I didn't!" I lied desperately.

I didn't know why I flinched. I'd never been hit by my parents. The gang would get violent sometimes, but only a slap that would sting afterwards.

"Y/n, I wouldn't ever hit you," mom assured me, her voice shaking suddenly. "It was-"

"No, I know!" I cried, struggling to not cry.

What the fuck was wrong with me?

"I didn't flinch!" I shouted, before running upto my room and slamming the door shut.

I broke down on my bed, sobbing. Why had I gone out and robbed that shop? Why had I joined a gang in the first place? Why had I been so goddamn selfish?

I heard the door close gently and felt the bedsheets crumple as someone sat on my bed.

"Hey, baby, I didn't mean to scare you," mom whispered, pulling me into a hug.

I didn't protest to this, just letting her stroke my auburn head of hair as I cried into her chest.

"You didn't," I whimpered. "I didn't flinch."

"You did," my dad's voice made me jump.

He chuckled, patting my leg.

"I'm better at sneaking around than you think," he commented.

"I didn't notice you," I said.

"Exactly," dad replied with a smile.

I couldn't reciprocate his smile. I just buried my head in my mom's chest again.

"What happened when we went out on that mission?" she asked. "Tell me from the start."

I took a deep breath.

"You and dad were always out and I got lonely," I started, then scoffed at how pathetically sad it sounded.

"No, carry on," mom told me.

"I wanted someone to hang out with and I met Marley. He was fun, but he told me I had to join his gang if I wanted to be his friend," I continued. "So I joined."

I shrugged and laughed bitterly.

"I was fucking stupid."

"Yeah, did do something stupid," mom agreed with me.

"I just mess everything up," I muttered.

"No Y/n, you don't," dad said.

"I got myself arrested so you had to come out of work and pick me up," I replied. "I was."

Mom stroked my head softly.

"We're both mad that you made a pretty shitty decision," mom said, honestly.

"Honey," dad muttered to my mom. "Watch your language around your daughter."

I saw mom roll her eyes. Of course dad would say something like that in a serious conversation.

"But you're a teenager. You're supposed to do that," mom continued.

"Am I forgiven?" I asked, sniffing.

"You're grounded for the foreseeable future, and I'm keeping your electronics for a couple of weeks, but yes."

I hugged mom tightly.

"Thankyou," I thanked emotionally, then hugged my dad. "I love you both, you know that right?"

"Of course baby," mom assured.

"We could never forget," dad said with a smile, patting my shoulder.

I was never doing that again. Getting in a gang and being arrested. Never again.