19. Naughty step - Natasha + Steve

Natasha Romanoff x daughter
Age: 4
Warnings: Steve Rogers

It was a Friday - the day when your mom and dad would take you to see Morgan at the compound. You and Morgan were playing in the living room with Morgan's toys.

"I want the blocks," Morgan demanded, as you built a tower with them.

"No," you replied, shaking your head.

Morgan walked over and knocked over your tower. It toppled to the floor with a clatter. You hoped someone heard it, so you could tell on Morgan.

"Now I have it," Morgan laughed, picking up the blocks.

But you weren't having any of it. Making an angry noise, you slapped Morgan's hand.

"Ow!" she cried, throwing the block down.

You picked it up and threw it at her.

"You broke my tower!" you shouted.

"You hit me!" Morgan shouted back, crying.

"You started it!"

"No you did!"

Without thinking, you stood up and pushed Morgan over onto the floor, where she burst out crying.

"Daddy!" Morgan wailed, picking up a block and throwing it at you.

Because your four year old reflexes weren't very good, the block hit your arm and you screamed angrily, getting on the floor to tug the other girl's hair. Morgan screamed and began to defend herself, kicking her legs. To any adult, this wasn't necessary over some toys, but to a four year old it was a very important thing.

"You broke my tower!" you yelled furiously, tears now streaming out of your eyes.

"Stop! Y/n stop!" Morgan pleaded. "You hurt me!"

Morgan was wailing loudly, but you continued to attack her until you felt strong arms around your waist pulling you away.

"Y/n Romanoff Rogers!" you heard your mom say as she carried you to the other side of the room.

You tried to put your head in the crook of your mom's neck, but she placed you on the ground harshly.

"Why did you hurt Morgan?" she demanded.

"She broke my tower!" you shouted, but regretted shouting at her.

Natasha's ice cold glare was on you, making you cry even harder. She was unsure of what happened, but Morgan hadn't ever caused trouble - that was usually you. From the other side of the room, Tony and Pepper were looking after their own daughter, who sobbed in their arms.

"Nat, let me deal with this," your dad said from behind you.

"Dada!" you turned around, hoping that someone wouldn't hate you.

"No Y/n."

Your dad crouched in front of you.

"Did you hurt Morgan?" he asked, clearly mad.

"No!" you protested hotly.

"Y/n, baby, just tell us what happened," Natasha pleaded. "We won't be mad."

"Daddy's mad," you replied sulkily.

"Yes, I am. Because you hurt Morgan!" your dad replied.

You began to cry again.

"She broke my tower! She broke it and threw it at me!" you screamed. "She hurt me and I was mad! I was mad and sad and she hurt me!"

"But you hurt her back!" Steve replied.

"I didn't!" you shrieked, crying hysterically.

Natasha and Steve shared a tired glance, before Steve picked you up.

"I think you need to calm down on the naughty step Y/n," he told you as you kicked against him.

"No!"

You hated the naughty step. You seemed to always be there.

"Mama! Daddy! No I don't want to! I wasn't naughty!" you screamed, kicking and hitting your dad.

"Every time you hit me you have another half a minute on the step," Steve warned, somehow keeping his voice level.

"I don't like you!" you sobbed, hitting your dad even more now. "I don't like you! I don't like mama! I don't like Morgan!"

Steve placed you on the step, saying, "Good for you Y/n. Now stay here for five minutes."

He began to walk and you ran after him, but he turned around and picked you back up, placing you back on the step.

"Y/n, stay there!"

"No! No! I wasn't naughty!" you cried, choking on your sobs.

Steve ignored you and walked away. You screamed and cried until your throat was sore. You kicked and punched the wall until your knuckles hurt.

Ten minutes later, when it had been silent for a few minutes, Natasha stood up from where she was sat.

"I'm going to go check on Y/n," she told Steve quietly.

Steve nodded and took Nat's hand gently.

"I know it was probably a bit harsh, but she can't hurt Morgan," he told her.

"I know," Nat nodded. "I want to ask her for the truth without her kicking off again."

Natasha found you curled up on the bottom step, eyes swollen and biting your thumb.

"Hey sweetheart," she whispered, sitting next to you.

"Mama I'm sorry," you apologised.

Nat smiled. She always liked hearing your four year old voice - when it wasn't screaming at someone or something.

"It's alright, I just want to know what happened," she replied, stroking your red hair.

"She wanted my blocks. I was building a tower and she knocked them over," you explained, sulking. "I got mad at her and she threw them at me so I pushed her over and hurt her hair."

Natasha's expression showed both sympathy and fury at the same time, but you didn't notice. Natasha held her arms out for you and you gratefully crawled into her lap.

"Mama I'm sowwy," you aplologised again. "I didn't mean to hurt daddy."

"You need to apologise to Morgan sweetheart," Nat told you.

"But-"

"Yes, and she needs to apologise to you too," your mom cut you off with a smile.

She held you close. Your head was on her chest and you could hear her steady heartbeat. You had no more tears, but you still cried into your mom. She kept one arm around you, whilst the other was stroking your head.

"Shh... it's alright baby..." she hushed. "It's alright..."

------------------------------‐---------------------------

A/n

Didn't really know how to end this lol.

Inspiration from another one-shot I read, but I cant remember where I read it 💀