34. In Your Arms

Începe de la început

I struggle to see down my gun sight, but I fire shots at the last two silhouettes, seeing them both separately drop down, dead.

"Nearly there, we can't give up now. It's only the man now." Ryujin pants, finally shifting her gun off of safety and holding it up, looking around the room for the leader.

I squint my eyes, trying to spot the leader in the low lighting, shifting them left and right around the room.

"Where is-"

BANG

A single gunshot goes off.
But it isn't from me, Ryujin or Nayeon. It's too far forward.

"I'm right here, you pricks." A familiar voice says.

I see a big silhouette stand up from where the hostages should be, as the leader reveals himself.

Without wasting a good opportunity, I instantly raise my gun up, pointing it towards him.
I begin to squeeze my hand on the trigger.

"SEOKJIN, WAIT-"

Ryujin lunges towards me, and just manages to swipe the gun out of my hand before I can shoot.

"Ryujin, what are you doing?" I ask, confused.

"Seokjin-" Ryujin starts, but she's interrupted by the man.

"The thing she's doing, Seokjin, is saving you from doing something you'd regret." He says, chuckling at the last bit.

I'm taken aback.
"I'd never, ever regret it. Not even one bit. Now Ryujin, give me the gun back or freaking shoot him yourself-"

"NO- SEOKJIN! CAN'T YOU SEE?" Ryujin shouts.

"WHAT AM I MEANT TO SEE? JUST FREAKING SHOOT HIM ALREADY, THATS WHAT WE CAME TO DO!" I retort.

BANG

The man fires a shot, upwards. More like a warning shot.

"I'll let you see for yourself, Seokjin. But first, put down the gun."

...
Should I?

I look behind me, everyone Nayeon and Ryujin both have their guns down, and their hands are completely empty.

...

"Seokjin... please..."

I hear a voice, right where the man stands. But it isn't the man's voice.

It's Yeji's.

That's when I realise.

I hastily put down the gun, raising my arms and stepping away.

"The guns are down now, please. Please don't shoot her." Ryujin says.

"Don't shoot, alright? My gun is down. Leave her alone." I say, backing away.

The man steps forward, into the light. He has Yeji clutched in a neck-choke, a knife positioned near her neck.

"Let her go now..." Nayeon says, her voice pleading.

The leader scoffs.

"It looks so pitiful, doesn't it? A huge group like you, all armed and ready, enough to have me at gunpoint, still not shooting? All because of a singular person?"

Ryujin let's out a breath of anger.

"She's not just any person, you goddam prick..." she huffs.

Yeji has tears rolling down her eyes. She doesn't want to die, I can see her fear.