Part 34: Aurora

Three months have passed since my return, and my delicate fingers now trace the curves of my burgeoning baby bump. I'm now seven months pregnant, which means I'll become a mother in about two more months. It's a surreal thought.

Surprisingly, things have been going well between Rylan and me. We've made slow but steady progress toward me regaining some of my freedoms. I can now be alone in the wing and explore the palace grounds as I wish, with four guards accompanying me, instead of the initial two. I'm grateful to have most of my original guards back, except for Aldric, for whom I feel immense guilt. I ran on his watch, and he won't be entrusted with my safety again, even though it's not his fault. I've been reassured that he's okay, back to his original position as a warrior.

While Rylan has given me some of my freedoms back, he remains as possessive as ever. Surprisingly, I've come to accept it. We both avoid discussing our problems, fearing it might lead to another conflict. However, I'm aware that avoiding these discussions may become an issue later on.

Rylan has also shown some progress in his attitude towards humans. While he still harbors a general dislike for them, he has allowed human mates to enter the palace, a step towards change. I'm still in bed as Rylan prepares for his day. He rushes to my side, his hand on my baby bump, and plants a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"Have a good day, my love," he says, and as he's about to leave, he reminds me to wear a crown when I leave the wing. Lately, he's been insistent on this, wanting me to look more like a queen. It's not exactly to my taste, but he wants the people of the palace to respect me as they would any of the past queens. He admitted his own mistakes when he first brought me here. He had wanted me all to himself and skipped formal introductions into noble society. Now he's obsessed with setting things straight before the birth of our children, making sure he has complete control over the court. His rampage upon my departure exposed the need for change, and he's been working diligently to bring about those changes.

As for me, I've been focusing on learning and honing my skills, striving to become the best mother I can be. Rylan, on the other hand, wants me to become the best queen I can be. The more legitimate I appear, the more likely he is to take my opinions on how humans should be treated seriously. We're both on our paths of growth, learning to adapt to this new world and the roles we must play in it.

With a reluctant sigh, I rise from the bed, the weariness of pregnancy clinging to my every movement. Tia, my newfound maid, enters the room to assist with my morning routine. The physical toll of carrying life within me has made even simple tasks a challenge, and though I would prefer independence, I graciously accept her help. Tia, a human and the mate of Elden, one of my guards, entered our lives after he discovered her during a shift in a human town. Her transition to life as a werewolf's mate was initially uncomfortable, but now she seamlessly fulfills the role of a palace maid. The presence of fellow humans, especially Tia, brings a comforting sense of camaraderie, turning servant duties into moments of shared laughter and companionship.

"I heard there's a new human in the castle," Tia remarks, always eager for gossip.

"Really?" I inquire, intrigued and wanting details.

"Her mate is another warrior. He was patrolling a human town and supposedly marked her on the spot."

"No... poor girl," I respond, empathizing with the pain that comes with being marked and contemplating how she'll bear it without understanding her situation.

"I can't wait to meet her once she wakes!" Tia says joyously, maintaining her optimism.

"Almost finished," she declares as she completes my hair. "Now for the best part," she adds, leading me to a room in the wing containing the royal jewels. With a keen eye, she scans the crowns, selecting the perfect one to complement my outfit.