Part 23: Aurora

Chains dig into my wrists as I lie on the bed, still feeling the weight of my impulsive decision. I know I messed up, but this level of restraint seems excessive, even for my reckless actions. With three pairs of eyes on me, it's hard not to feel vulnerable and exposed.

Ethan's presence lingers in my mind, and I can only hope he managed to escape. The words he spoke about the summer solstice and Miss Chui keep echoing, a cryptic puzzle I can't decipher yet. Perhaps he was trying to convey something important to me.

As I try to calm my racing thoughts, the throbbing in my neck serves as a painful reminder of my impulsive act. I shift slightly, testing the restraints, but they hold me firmly in place.

I've been oscillating between fitful bouts of sleep and pleading with my watchers to release me. The doctor's pitying glances and Bran and Aldric's disapproving expressions weigh heavily on my conscience.

Finally, the sun begins to rise, casting a warm, gentle light into the room. Just then, Rylan storms in with an air of authority, his presence dominating the space. He orders the watchdogs to leave, and I watch them file out, leaving me alone with him.

My heart races as I wonder how he'll react. I know I need to talk to him, to make him understand that I acted out of fear for Ethan's life. But at this moment, with my wrists bound and Rylan's stern gaze fixed on me, I can't help but feel a profound sense of uncertainty.

As he approaches, I try to gather my thoughts and find the right words to speak. My voice trembles slightly as I finally break the silence. "Rylan, I... I know what I did was reckless and stupid. I didn't want to hurt you, but I had to make sure Ethan got away."

Rylan's gaze softens just a fraction, and it gives me a glimmer of hope. "I didn't mean to hurt myself," I say, looking down at the bandaged wound on my neck. "I just wanted you to understand that I had to protect him, even if it meant risking my own life."

Rylan's silence is suffocating, and I can feel the anger emanating from him. I resort to my most persuasive, pleading expression, my eyes locked on his as I try to convey my desperation. "Please, Rylan, let me out of the chains," I implore.

He breaks the silence with a direct question, his voice heavy with a mixture of anger and curiosity. "Who is he?" Rylan's tone leaves no room for deceit.

"He's a friend from my camp," I reply, trying to provide an explanation. "He must have heard that I was here and came to help me."

But Rylan's next words cut through my explanation like a knife. "Help you from me," he says, his voice laced with bitterness. "Tell me the truth, Aurora. Were you going to run with him?"

I swallow hard, knowing that honesty is my only path forward. "Yes," I answer, feeling a surge of guilt. Rylan's reaction is visceral, a low growl escaping his lips. It's clear that my intention to leave with Ethan has deeply wounded him.

I need him to understand the bigger picture, that my desire to leave isn't solely about Ethan. "Rylan, you know how I feel about how you rule," I continue, trying to explain my perspective. "Can you really just expect me to do nothing about it?"

His next question reveals the depth of his insecurities. "You were going to leave me for that human boy?" he grits out, his voice heavy with jealousy and hurt.

I quickly clarify, my voice trembling with emotion. "No, Rylan. I was going to leave with him, not for him. It has nothing to do with my relationship with him. You know I've wanted to leave since the beginning."

I hope that he'll realize that my actions were driven by my desire for freedom and a sense of justice, not a choice between him and Ethan. But the tension in the room remains palpable, and it's clear that my explanation might not be enough to soothe the storm of emotions raging within Rylan.