Part 27: Aurora

Three months of freedom have passed, and though I've missed Rylan more than words can express, I remain convinced that my escape was the right decision. He was stubborn, unwilling to change, and the life he offered was one I couldn't accept. However, the choice I made, the one I thought was purely for my own freedom, has grown more complex with each passing day.

My hand rests gently on the small bump that has formed on my stomach, a testament to a night of passion that brought about unexpected consequences. If I had known about the child growing within me at the time of my escape, I never would have left. My priorities have shifted, and now it's about safeguarding the future of my child, a future that deserves both parents, despite our differences.

My heart aches for the man I left behind, even with all his flaws. I miss his presence, his embrace, his love. I'm haunted by the knowledge that he is the father of my child. While I may despise some of his methods, I know he would ensure our safety and protect our child.

My escape went smoother than anticipated. Soon after leaving the castle, I encountered other human rebels who guided me to the base. They were allies of Ethan and had been expecting my escape. Upon reaching the rebel base, I was astonished by its intricacy and sophistication. Ethan, who had made it back safely, welcomed me into his small cottage. He has been my guardian during these past three months, the only one privy to the secret of my pregnancy. We've chosen to keep the fact that I am the alpha king's mate concealed, except from the leaders of the rebellion. My pregnancy, however, is a hidden truth from everyone that I fear won't stay concealed much longer. Ethan fears it may be seen as a political opportunity, and has vowed to protect both me and my child, no matter the cost.

Ethan's unwavering support has been a lifeline during these three months of escape. He treats me with kindness, respect, and genuine adoration. He has been a friend, a protector, and a confidant, but something crucial is missing in our relationship. Despite his noble intentions and his unrelenting care, my heart remains tethered to Rylan.

The mate bond, that inexplicable force, keeps my emotions locked away, a barrier that seems insurmountable. I see the goodness in Ethan, and I appreciate him for all that he's done, but I can't seem to muster any romantic feelings beyond friendship. He has been patient and understanding, never pushing his feelings onto me. His proposal to protect me and my child within the camp, offering to marry me and raise the child as his own, is a thoughtful plan. If only my heart were free to love him as he deserves.

But I can't bring myself to marry him, even if it would provide safety and stability. Ethan understands my hesitation, and he has promised to protect us regardless of the circumstances. It's a cruel twist of fate that he loves me, a woman torn between loyalty to the cruel and brutal Rylan, who still holds her heart, and a good man who deserves a love I fear I may never be able to give.

I find myself sitting in the cozy cottage, my thoughts drifting towards the uncertain future with my child. It took me a while to acknowledge the signs, and Ethan had noticed it before I did. But now, this child growing within me is my love, my life.

Ethan has a knack for maintaining his cheerful demeanor despite the grim circumstances that surround us. He enters the cottage with a bright smile, and I can't help but return it.

"Hello, Aurora, and hello, baby," he greets my belly with a warmth that makes me giggle. "How has your day been so far?" he asks, genuinely interested in my well-being.

"It's been fine," I reply. "I was helping with some tasks around the camp with the other women, but I suddenly felt tired and thought it best to rest."

Ethan looks at me with concern, his eyes filled with genuine care. "You shouldn't exert yourself too much, Aurora. I know you've always wanted to contribute to the camp, and the insights you've given us have already been invaluable. Please, prioritize yourself and the little one."