Prolugue

For the longest time humans have been trying to prove the existence of merpeople. They search the depths of the seas, scavaning for any piece of evidence they can get there hands on. Some humans believe that they have seen a mer before, but everyone calls then crazy. They don't have any proof so people think there making up stories for attention, which is often the case. But sometimes, on rare occasions, they're telling the truth.  

For the longest time merfolk have hidden from humans. They keep their distance from boats and the surface of the water. If humans finally had proof of their existence, they would be hunted; for research or to kill and eat, or even just to display at a aquarium at some celebrities house. Some times, humans make up stories about seeing a mer, but no one believes them. To humans, without any proof, merfolk are only fairly tails, stories to tell to children. The mer want to keep it that way, so they don't reveal themselves to humans. 

Some times, though, a mer will show themself to a human. No one knows why exactly, but they do and any mer that does, never comes back. Most believe that they were taken, but that's not true. There's a different reason for their disappearance. 

The ocean's currents work in mysterious ways.