43

"God, I am so glad to be out of that gown," Mia sighed, running her hands through her hair. "Its like a damn oven in those things."

I laughed, rolling my eyes at her as we plucked two glasses from a tray, leaning forward onto the table in front of us.

We had navigated convocation without incident, without embarrassment, and without falling on our faces. For that, we counted it as a grand success.

Now, we were to hang out at the cocktail reception for a short time, before rounding up our parents, and heading off to dinner.

"Harry looked quite good up there," Mia said, her eyes on me from over the rim of her glass.

I nodded, my own eyes falling. "He did,"

Mia watched me for a moment, before rolling her eyes. She had played this game with me a few times over the recent weeks. A little cat and mouse where she would lead me, trying to get me to talk about Harry, so she could move the conversation into the realm of romance. But I knew her too well to be goaded, and always ended the topic before it fully began.

"Here are the graduates!" Mia's father hollered, his loud, happy voice booming over the surroundings.

In tow was her mother, two brothers, and my own parents. Both of our familys had gotten quite close after Mia and I met, realizing that they lived not far from one another, and knew several of the same people. From then on, it was a rather pleasant blending of our two families. Our dads golfed together, our mothers talked about our fathers. Mias brother Anthony was close to my own brothers age, and if he was here, I truly felt that he and Adam would get along well.

The thought of Adam, and his absence on this day cause a tension in my chest. Immediately, out of habit, I pushed it away, back into the recesses of my mind.

The chatter was endless, mainly between our parents while Mia talked about her upcoming interview, the prospects she had been finding leading up to graduation, and her fathers plans to try and hook her up with a colleagues son, a concept Mia had no interest in.

"Lane?" a voice called, causing me to turn.

In front of me stood Harry, his brown hair tamed for a change, brushed back in gentle waves. He had on a white dress shirt, over gray slacks, and the thin material of his shirt hinted to the ink on his skin underneath. I had never seen him in anything other than casual wear; his usual jeans and tshirts. To see him now, looking so clean cut and heart clenching, made my mouth water and my thighs pull together.

Before I could even respond, his arms wrapped around me, pulling me close.

"Well done, babe," he whispered in my ear, kissing my cheek. Pulling back, he smirked at me. "You didn't even trip on stage. Im rather proud."

Tisking him, I pinched his arm, causing him to laugh as he pulled me close again. Glancing to my side, I realized that all eyes were on us. Mia's knowing ones, matched against the curious stares of my parents.

Clearing my throat uncomfortably, I gestured to my parents.

"Harry, these are my parents, Cathy and Jim." Immediately, my fathers hand shot out towards Harry, his smile beaming. He was always a warm and welcoming person, but sometimes too much so. He was forward, direct and not too subtle. I was immediately nervous to how Harry would respond.

I glanced up, assessing Harry. He was smiling, his hand reaching out to meet my father. "Nice to meet you," he nodded, before doing the same with my mother, who smiled up at him with appraisal.

"Lovely to meet you, son," my father said, his eyes focused intently on Harry. "How do you two know each other?"

I groaned internally, resisting the urge to roll my eyes at my father.