25

I turned away from the biting wind, trying to shield myself from the snow blowing around me. My arms tightened around my middle, my hands tucking in under my arms to find refuge from the chill. My hair was whipping around my face, becoming increasingly damp the longer I was outside.

It was like a fucking blizzard outside. When I had woken that morning, my walk to class had been rather pleasant. It was cold, the winter of mid March still holding on with a vengeance, not willing to release her grip on New York. But the sky was clear, and the wind was minimal. This made for a rather pleasant commute to my two classes for that Friday, and I for once didn't even mind the chill in my bones when I finally made it to the lecture hall.

Coming back out into the New York air many hours later, however, it was as if a complete weather shift had occurred. During my time inside, a full blown snow storm had begun. The wind was harsh, the snow coming down in a curtain of white, making it difficult to navigate the slippery sidewalks.

Thankfully, it was Friday. I had no more classes for the week, all my homework was completed thanks to a less than adventurous personal life, and my weekend was my own. Hurrying along the street, I kept my focus ahead, my thoughts consumed with warm joggers, thick socks, and a hot tea. My plan for the night was simple: horror movies and Thai food.  Simple pleasures in life really were the best.

I was only a couple of blocks from my apartment when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I paused for a moment, considering answering it, but deciding against it. I was almost home, and all I wanted to do was get away from the snow and out of the cold. I would return the call once inside.

Finally stepping into the lobby of my building, I sighed an audible breath of relief the moment I felt the heat hit my chilled skin. I paused for a moment under the hot flow of air coming down from the vent above me, before stepping through the second set of doors and into the lobby.

Trudging up the stairwell towards my apartment, my phone again began to annoyingly ring, vibrating in my back pocket.  Groaning with annoyance, I reached back, pulling it out and glancing at the persistent caller.

Stacy.  Huh.

Stacy was the other part time bartender at the bar near campus where I worked. We were both NYU students, and found that the schedule, tips and atmosphere of the bar fit us well in mix with our studies. For her to be calling me now, probably meant only one thing.  She was notorious for last minute call ins.

"Hey Stacy," I grinned, trying to keep any anticipation from my voice. I knew what she was going to ask before she even said a word.

"Hey," she greeted, her voice sounding breathless and distant. "Sorry to bug you, but I need a massive favor."

Reaching my door, my lip curved into a grin.  "Oh yeah?"

"I have a project due tomorrow, and I am no where near done. Plus, my roommate just fucking spilled coffee all over my laptop, so I'm kind of panicking." She paused for a moment, and I could hear her scuttling around, probably trying to clean up whatever mess surrounded her. "Is there any way you could take my shift tonight? It's seven till close. Its Friday, so you will make good tips!"