42

"Ugh!" I groaned, tossing my hairbrush angrily into the sink. The clatter echoed in the small room, the brush swirling around the basin before coming to rest at the bottom.

"Issues?" Mia asked, giving me a side eyed glance from her small make up mirror on the counter at my side.

"I hate my fucking hair," I whined, picking up another chunk of blonde locks, and wrapping it around the wand curling iron Mia had handed over to me after finishing her own perfect curls. "How do you even work this bloody thing?"

Mia snorted, turning her attention back to her makeup. "Maybe this is a lesson that you should actually try and do something with your hair once in a while? You know, other than a ponytail and knot on your head. Hair and makeup is a skill, and you're way out of practice."

I huffed in annoyance at her, knowing all too well that I couldn't argue with her points with much validity. She was right. I never wore makeup, and never did much with my hair. Only on special occasions did I bother with either. I was the epitome of low key, no maintenance. I didn't like the fuss and fluff of glamour, never seeing the need for layers of makeup and luxurious curls on a daily basis.

I never even thought about it. Until days like today, when I would be required to artfully master both in the matter of a morning.

It was graduation day. The last three years of my life had brought me to this moment, when I would be walking across that stage in front of the entire class, my family and friends, and receive my degree. All the hard work, sleepless nights, and stress finally seemed worth it.

If only my fucking hair would cooperate, then maybe I could enjoy the day I had worked so hard towards!

My parents were due to arrive any minute, escorting us to the ceremony, and staying for the small cocktail reception following. They had begged to take me out to dinner afterwards, to celebrate, listing off all the possible choices of restaurants around the city we could go to. They didn't come in the New York often, so when they did they liked to pull the 'tourist' card, and try anything new.

Mia and I were currently crowded in our small bathroom, trying to put the finishing touches on our graduation day looks. Of course, she looked perfect. Hair lightly curled in long dark waves down her back. The red sun dress she wore hugged her slim body, showing off her tan and long legs. Her make up was simple, but accentuated her features and big brown eyes. She looked amazing.

I, however, had been struggling with my hair for over thirty minutes, after spending even more time than that prior trying to put on makeup. Finally, after much cursing and a little whining, Mia had stepped in and finished the task for me.

She had lined my eyes with a thin black liner, a simple additive to make my blue eyes appear larger, without looking too much. Since I never regularly wore makeup, anything on me seemed overload. My lashes were curled above my eyes with coats of mascara, and a light dusting of blush to give my pale cheeks some color. She had given me a light lip gloss to keep in my bag for the day, saying I would probably need to reapply more than once. Why I would need to reapply I had no idea, but she knew more than I did in this regard, so I slipped the small tube into the little bag I was bringing to the ceremony.

I had slipped on a simple white sundress, a delicate halter top tying at my neck. The material was light, and flowed easily. It was very springy, light and natural. Just like with makeup, I rarely wore dresses, and wanted to make sure I was as comfortable as possible.

A knock at the door tore me away from glaring at the lock of hair between my fingers.

"Shit, my parents are here already," I cursed, fiddling with the curling iron.