38

I loosened the clamp on the stand, raising it high above me, causing the black backdrop strung across the top to fall in a curtain across the room. Tightening it again, I adjusted the fabric, straightening it across the stand and letting it slide across the floor. Moving to the single strobe at the edge, I turned it on from the power base, leaving it at only half power as not to create too intense a light when coupled with the natural light coming in from the window.

In reality, I had created a mini studio in my living room. Pushing the coffee table into the kitchen, I brought out my backdrop and strobe, setting them up to make a small workspace between the edge of the living room and the window. I wanted to use as much natural light as possible, to create a real feel for this kind of photo, with only a slight fill from the strobe across the room. I wanted subtle, because I knew the true impact would be coming from Harry himself.

The backdrop served two purposes. First, as the obvious. Standing in front of a black backdrop, nothing other than the person, was always an impact. But I also knew that it may not be the most effective when it came to Harrys comfort, which was why I already had alternatives in my mind. If I was being honest, the main purpose for the backdrop was to create a shield for him. To make the room smaller, more safe. So that he didn't feel quite as exposed, as if displayed to the room. Also, if Mia came home, it allowed him a small amount of privacy.

Harry had said nothing to me as I set up, staying seated on the couch, his hands nervously clamped between his knees as he watched me move about the living room. I knew he was anxious, his mind churning, and I left him to it. I was surprised he hadn't run out of the room yet, and hadn't completely discarded the thought that he still might. But until I was forced to run after him, I was going to leave him be.

Finally, I finished all the set up I needed, turning my attention to my camera. Changing a few settings, checking the light with my meter, I made sure everything was what I would need, to keep this process as short and as painless for Harry as I could.

When I couldn't put it off any longer, I looked up to him.  His eyes were forward, not focused on anything in particular. His bottom lip was pulled between his teeth, his leg bouncing with nerves.

"Harry," I said softly, bringing his attention to me.

His eyes darted to me, his lip popping out from between his teeth.

"Are you ready?" I asked.

Swallowing hard, his eyes fell for a moment. I honestly expected him to say no, and to ask that we shoot anything else. But he surprised me yet again when he took a deep breath, before standing.

"Ready as I'm going to be," he said, before pulling his black t-shirt over his head in one swift motion.

Now, it was my turn to feel nervous and exposed. My eyes took him in, the first unrestricted, completely uncovered view I was getting of him.

My eyes roamed over the ink on his skin. Two swallows decorated his chest, leading down to the butterfly which I had caught a glimpse of that day in his apartment. The two ferns I had seen were etched above his hip bones, all dipping with the curves of his body.