33: Auburn

CHAPTER 33: AUBURN

Vincent Florence

"Vinny?" My mom asked, peeking her head into my room.

"Yeah?" I asked, sitting up to see her with her apron on.

"Did you forget?" She said. I stared at her confusingly. "It's your birthday. You're officially 18."

I grabbed my phone, a new one I had bought recently after my previous one was destroyed in the fire, and checked the date. June 19. Yep, it's my birthday.

"Wanna do anything today?"

I let out a small hum. "Nah. I think I'm going to just take a walk right now." I replied. Mom nodded and left my room.

After I returned to Wisconsin, my life had sort of remained in a state of limbo. After I was vindicated of my crimes and was no longer under the constant watch of the government, my life needed a bit more adjusting.

When I returned home, the home had been in a state of chaos. My mom was so occupied with the trial that she forgot to ask someone to check up on the house. So that meant that there was dust everywhere, the food had gotten moldy, and the foliage outside was messy. Not only that, but the front of our house had been ground zero for a protest, where people came in support of me.

My mom and I were informed that, due to the nature of the trial, the Secret Service would be patrolling the area and ensuring our safety. So far, I haven't had any major problems. Besides the occasional person who wants a selfie with me or an eager person recording me.

As for the rest of my friends, they've each been doing their own things...

Dorian was able to come forward about her father's past and what happened to her in her youth. This opened an investigation, which is still ongoing. I did let her know that I am rooting for her and hoping that she gets the justice that's been overdue.

Archie, after the trial, went to move to his granparent's home. Here, he mainly hunkered down and remained in silence. I've spoken to Archie, and he's expressed interest in playing with Legos. At least he's enjoying his time. Archie has also been by Dorian's side during her trial.

Octavia's parents were a little disappointed that she brought national attention to herself. For a while, they ignored her presence. But at some point, they began to come around and realized how they had treated their only daughter. Their relationship is still broken, but there seems to be a bit of a bond forming.

Percy's parents had a different reaction. Rather than be angry at his actions, Percy's father was prideful. Percy's father would constantly brag about what his son achieved and the efforts he made. At least they're happy. From the phone calls I've had with Percy, it seems that he might follow in his father's footsteps, as a senator.