13: Bastard

CHAPTER 13: BASTARD

Vincent Florence

When Elliot described how the website worked, he explained it like a transplant. He used code from the TOR browser, fixing it up and polishing it, and adding it to the academy's domain, using a redirect link. The new page would give all users several layers of protection in case anyone tried to find the exact IP address. The address would send them through several different countries, including China, Laos, Artois, and even Tuvalu. It’ll be impossible for anyone to find anything.

Launch day wasn’t anything special. Thomasina just made an announcement about the new link and all the students were sent a notification on the school’s portal. They just tap the link, or they can go through the website, and enter a text. Elliot also made it so only people within school grounds can make a suggestion. Meaning the website won’t be run over by outsiders.

After the first three hours, we began to receive dozens of suggestions. Everytime a new suggestion was made, I received a notification on my phone. 

“Hey, Vinny!” Connor called out to me. He walked over to me with a glass in his hands. “Come on, we’re celebrating.” He handed me the glass.

All of us were back in the Auburn Nights common room, celebrating the launch of the website, but also our great success. 

“Don’t worry, it’s not alcohol. It’s apple cider.” He said. 

“Thanks.” I said, taking the glass and sipping on it. Connor took a seat next to me, inconspicuously placing his arm behind me. 

“I don’t know where I would be if it wasn’t for you.” Connor said.

“Do you mean where would you all be?” I asked.

“That– but mainly me. I can’t explain it, but you coming here to this school has brightened me up all the way. Like, I’m actually excited to get up everyday.” Connor told me.

“I’m glad I’m able to make you feel that way. Maybe that’s why we’re meant for each other.” I said.

“Damn right.” Connor replied. 

“Thomasina mentioned that she covered up something that the Barringtons did, regarding a chemical spill. Is there something more about Thomasina?” I asked.

“Thomasina’s family, the Norringtons, are the cover-up, you could call them. They hide the family’s dirty business from the public and make sure nothing gets out. It’s how the family has been able to remain in power. That, and also the Livingtons.” Connor explained.

“As in Milton Livington?”

“Yup. While the Norringtons are the cover-ups, the Livingtons are the ones who provide security but also… eliminate… any threats to the family. If you know what I mean.”