5: Golding

CHAPTER 5: GOLDING

Vincent Florence

It has been two weeks since my first day of school. Normally, within a few days of school, I would already feel the repetition of the days. All the classes were packed with monotonous lesson plans, essays, reading, or worksheets. My once young hunger for education became stagnant when all I was given for 11 years was the same dish.

But in Auburn Brights Academy, everyday is full of something new and exciting. Sculpting class, for example, is always entertaining since our one assignment is to create a statue using clay. In marine biology, I had Connor, the debonair man who lightened up my day. Even the classes that I had with Archie and Dorian were entertaining, especially seeing the two blushing at each other.

One thing that I haven't seen in a long time is anyone from the student council. According to Connor, the student council has their own schedule and are taught privately by teachers in the tower or after school. They spend most of their days in their tower doing council work.

As for my feelings for Connor, we've gotten closer everyday. Sometimes we'll talk over the Worry Hole about random things. I've been in his dorm, sat on his bed, touched his sheets, and smelled his clothes (don't question me). But I wouldn't ask him out. Maybe not yet.

Octavia pulled on my arm as we entered our homeroom class. I was already exhausted because I woke up late. If it wasn't for Connor who yelled at me through the hole, I probably wouldn't have been to class. And attendance is vital in this academy.

"Good morning, Ms. Hawthorne; Mr. Florence." The homeroom teacher, Mrs. Martin, greeted us.

"Good morning, professor!" I replied back. Octavia gave her a nod and quickly ascended to our spot in the top of the lecture hall.

Octavia pulled out some nail polish and began to paint her nails. "So are you going to ask out Connor?" She asked.

"Wha- no? I want to focus on my studies first." I said.

"Everyone says that and proceeds to start dating a few weeks into the school year. So long as you date a smart guy, like Connor, I'm sure you'll be fine." She replied.

"Do you or the others have a person in mind?" I asked.

"Percy is very picky about who he wants to date. He's in the public eye so dating someone controversial could ruin his image. Connor has a sexual tension with you. Me? I think I'm good. As for Archie and Dorian, it's no secret they like each other."

"Right!?" I replied. "It's so obvious they like each other."

"I've been trying to get Dorian to speak up but she is too afraid to get rejected, even though Archie himself has expressed interest. But it's fun to see the two of them be so awkward." Tavia said.