11: Bacchus

CHAPTER 11: BACCHUS

Connor Devonshire

I kept pacing back and forth, walking across the stone path and muttering to myself. Percy sat back on the bench, with Tavia rubbing his back.

“You’re making me nauseous with your walking, Connor. Sit down already.” Percy groaned. 

“Shush, Percy!” Tavia said to the blonde boy. “He’s just nervous because he has a date…” She said in a teasing tone.

“So what if I’m nervous? That’s fine, right? It’s not like we’re going to fuck in the grass.” I chuckled awkwardly.

“You never know.” Tavia winked at me. 

“Connor!” A voice yelled out to me. I turned and saw Vinny walking towards me. His happy smile removed all reproach regarding this date. We’re just young kids, trying to live this life with what we have. To panic over a date is to disgrace what we’ve been given. 

“Vinny!” I replied. 

“Ready to go?” Vinny asked. The boy wore a brown knitted sweater, showing his neck and part of his collar bone. 

“Yep.” I replied. I walked over to the bench where Percy sat and picked up the picnic basket that Dorian lended to me. Percy gave me a wink, knowing where I was going. 

“Good luck you two.” Tavia said, removing her hands from Percy’s neck. “Don’t do something that you wouldn’t want to be seen on the internet.”

“We’ll keep that in mind.” Vinny replied. We gave each other a final wave and went off to our desired location. 

The two of us walked in silence. Luckily, this silence was with a calm nature. Throughout the walk, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Vinny smiling to himself. Once we had left the main courtyard and through the hedges in the back, we entered the plains in the back of the school.

“How’s the student council business?” I asked Vinny, breaking the silence. 

“Hmm?” He was confused but then answered quickly. “It’s pretty good. I have my first task in three days.”

“What kind of task?” I asked

“It’s something tame. Just asking anything that the student body wants the council to do.”  He replied.

“Wow. Usually the council would hate hearing the voices of their inferiors.”

“Seems like my role has forced their hands to listen to me and the students. I’m doing a small survey and going class to class to get people’s opinions. Should be fun.” Vinny said.

“I look forward to seeing you in my class in a few days.” I smirked at him. 

The rest of the walk was silent. Up ahead was a mound that sloped upwards. At the top of the hill, anyone can see in the distance as the forest ahead covered the distance. Behind us was the large campus, and we were away from it all.