30: Espionage

CHAPTER 30: ESPIONAGE

Vincent Florence

Legal talk is boring, and I tried hard not falling asleep. To sum it up, there's a lot of evidence that we have to prove that our intentions were not malicious. There are also some hidden cards we have hidden up our sleeves to use during trial.

On the day the trial came, my mom helped me pick out the perfect outfit. It was one that I was going to wear for my graduation. But from what Connor has told me, graduation at Auburn has been postponed for the moment.

Still no word regarding my Harvard acceptance.

A special car drove me, my mom, Malik Waters, and a few other people part of his crew to a courthouse. As we pulled up to the front of the course, there were people outside with signs and all were chanting.

"Are they for or against me?" I asked.

"Look at their signs." Mom told me. I looked closer and saw the signs were all in support of me, as they urged for my exoneration.

The moment I stepped out of the car, flashes of camera lights shone in my face. My ears were assaulted with the chatter of reporters or supporters. It took several security guards to make way for me to quickly enter the courtroom.

Inside the courtroom, there were no cameras allowed. It felt like we were in a dystopian society, where even smiling was prohibited. The courtroom was split in two sides. A long table for the defense, us, and another long table for the prosecutor, them.

"We're early, so just sit and don't say anything to anyone." Malik told me. Mom had to sit in the peanut gallery. But she assured me that I was fine.

A few minutes passed. Octavia and her parents and lawyers walked in. She sat next to me. I gave her a nod and she returned it.

No talking.

Followed by her was Archie and who I assume is his grandma and legal team. Dorian came with just her lawyers. Percy walked in with his crew. The last was Connor.

Connor had changed a bit in the last few days. I could vaguely see dark circles under his eyes and there were a few small pimples on his face. I used to force Connor to have a skin care routine but since I wasn't there, he didn't do it. His hair was also styled more professionally. Back then, he would let it loose but it was more organized.

All of us sat at the table, but we didn't say anything. I did keep my eye on Connor and smiled a bit at him. Before the trial began, a few other people walked in and sat themselves at the prosecutor's side.

The courtroom was settled, with a judge and jury set in place. There was also a panel of several Congress members. My lawyer told me that the members are made up of different parties.

We first started the trial with a simple rundown of everything that has been gathered and what has been happening in the past few days.

The prosecutor brought forth the charges that we are guilty of. According to him, not only did we damage the safety of the wealthy, but also of the American citizens.