26: Schism

CHAPTER 26: SCHISM

Vincent Florence

Prom night, every high schoolers most magical night. A sign of an ending year before they're swept away to college. For an ordinary person, it would be a night to dance and possibly get drunk and lucky. But for us, Auburn Nights, we're just counting down the time until we can reveal daunting secrets.

Connor escorted me the night of the dance to the grand hall, where the event was to take place. I have never before seen someone more handsome than Connor. His perfectly tailored suit had to have taken months to be fitted and stitched perfectly.

I got Connor a custom corsage with the Juliet's Rose that Dorian told me about. He was in love with it and showed it off to every unfortunate person that passed by him.

The grand hall was perfect for the occasion. I had known about the plans, since the Student Council had to review all the plans by the leadership committee and add our own touches. The Student Council decided to add a separate seating area and snack bar for themselves. I have my own seat reserved. The rest will be in the normal seating area.

There were already hundreds of students here. It must have been at least half of our class here by this point. I met up with my friends, who had already taken their pictures.

"Holy shit!" Tavia said. "You two have got to be the hottest couple here."

"What about me?" Percy asked.

"Have you ever seen a picture of a rat wearing a suit?" She asked him. Percy's face flushed red, and he walked away to bother Archie.

"How come you aren't entering your name for Prom King?" Connor asked me.

"I've never been a fan of superlatives or those types of titles. People who have titles like 'Most Funniest' or 'Prom King' tend to make it their only personality after high school." I replied.

"Fair enough." Connor said. "But I think you'd make a great king."

"Why don't you get me something to drink?" I asked him. Connor obliged and left to get me something.

Tavia placed her arm around my shoulder. "You really know how to pick them." She said. I turned and admired her tight fitting pink dress. Her hair was curled to one side and had some pearls embedded in them.

"I got lucky, I guess."

"Seems like you both got lucky." She remarked. "Listen, I have to talk to you about something." She said.

"Yeah, anything." I replied.

"The plan later tonight is for us to expose some secrets about non-important people. But I was thinking, why don't we just expose most of the secrets now?" She asked.

"Elaborate." I told her, wanting to hear more of her plan.

"Why are we going to wait for weeks to expose all these secrets, when we can do them all tonight? It'll be much easier to just put them all out there." She whispered to me. I turned to her, seeing if she was pulling on my leg.