Act 24 - They're all so... disgusting... Duplicitous...

Normal text
Thinking
Onomatopoeia

Astaroth's POV
"Remember, no wandering off to see that Noxian critter," Evelynn reminded for the umpteenth time tonight.

Astaroth rolled her eyes. Ever since she returned back alive from Shurima, this woman has become oddly clingy, constantly nagging at her and showing an uncanny interest in everything she's up to. Why hadn't she known this succubus was an overprotective mother hen??? Even her sources didn't say anything about her motherly instincts. All of them always painted the thousand-year-old demoness as an apathetic creature that's incapable of feeling for others. Then what the hell was this??? It's completely out of character!

"You've already said this 5 minutes ago," Astaroth pointed out impatiently while draping the invisibility cloak over herself.

"Yes, but will you listen?" Evelynn clapped back.

Her sarcastic remark stumped Astaroth. This senior understood her way too well. Of course she wouldn't! She hasn't seen that Gray bastard for so long that she's facing severe withdrawal symptoms. Especially when she's now aware of the impending world crisis. She wanted to spend more 'quality time' with that fucker before mass destruction permanently seized that right from her. Astaroth stared at her feet, imitating the notion of a guilty child. If she acted pitiful enough, maybe that eccentric woman would relent and stop interfering in her business.

However, the cruel succubus merely sighed and compromised, "Stick with me. After supper, we can go find that chum together."

Looking at the firm expression of the mother hen, Astaroth had no choice but to reluctantly accept her troublesome proposal. How unfortunate. She would have to tone down on her deranged tendencies for tonight. Can't have this woman regret bringing her along. Evelynn looped her arms around Astaroth's waist, pulling her into the familiar shadow realm. In the blink of an eye, her environment changed and she was back in the dreary stronghold again.

"Follow me," the same rude emissary greeted them.

However, this time, Astaroth could keenly sense that something was odd. She can't quite put her finger on it. Maybe it's the inexplicable boost in confidence of helpless prey who used to fear Evelynn. Or the fact that there were a tad bit too many guards accompanying them down to the dungeon. Their stares were unkind, nothing out of the norm. It's just that they didn't hide their hostility too well this time. Their malicious intent was blatant as hell. Who gave them the audacity to show such disrespect to an immortal demoness? Something insidious was brewing beneath the surface. These gremlins were definitely plotting behind Evelynn's back. Whatever it was, the little rendezvous tonight wasn't going to be as peaceful as usual.

She lightly tugged on Evelynn's sleeve. The woman only flashed a playful grin before her expression quickly reverted to that of boredom. She casually inspected her metal claw rings, intentionally scraping them against each other to produce a conspicuous screech. She knew of it too. That these ugly goblins seemed to have forgotten who their real owner was. Astaroth curled her lips and withdrew her hand. Things were about to get a lot more interesting. Grandfather was excitedly clapping its imaginary hands like a seal.

*Can I eat them?*

Sure~

Anyway, humans taste far better than rotten voidlings. While descending down the spiral stairway behind a heavily guarded steel gate, Astaroth focused on her peripheral view. More and more soldiers were discreetly joining their march from behind. She had a vague idea of what they're planning—a futile attempt at mutiny that's bound to fail in a spectacular fashion. If they can't even sense her presence because of a mere cloak, what were their chances against a succubus who had aeons worth of battle experience? Sighing in disappointment, she retracted the manic grin on her face. Astaroth had expected better from a region known for waging wars. How boring.