Conclusion 57 - Did I see light?

Normal text
Thinking
Onomatopoeia

Ahri's POV
I was sitting on the jutting ledge of a clock tower overlooking the progressive city. The entire place was enshrouded in darkness, with glimmers of streetlights dotting sporadically amidst the gloom. Cloudy skies stretched on infinitely, as far as the eye could see. The usual hustle and bustle of the city had died down as the night wore on. Pavements were deserted and lifeless. Shops with their window displays dark. Only naked mannequins and pedestals remained. It left behind a unique sort of tranquillity. A rare moment of peaceful silence in this hectic city. The chilly breeze ruffled my hair as I sighed contentedly.

"I-I still think this is majorly unsafe..."

A light-hearted smile widened on my face as I watched my baby deer balancing herself precariously on my lap. I was completely engrossed with her every move, regardless of how clumsy or silly she looked. Asta fidgeted awkwardly while furtively peeking down from the dizzying height, only to shy away in fright. So cute~

My arms tightened around her slim waist and I nuzzled her nape, peppering affectionate kisses on her neck. I took a deep breath, truly taking in the sweet peachy scent. It helped to soothe the aching pain in my heart. Fill the emptiness that had persisted for years. It's been so long since I got to cuddle with my adorable baby. And now that I was graciously given this opportunity again in the form of a dream, I was going to make full use of it.

"What happens if we fall down?" the little scaredy cat asked for the umpteenth time while shrinking further into my embrace.

Her voice was quivering, her palms cold and clammy.

"We won't," I crooned, greed shining blatantly in my eyes, "even if we do, I'll catch you~"

If only I could go further than just mere hugs and snuggles. I just want to appraise my baby's beautiful body.

"But why must we be so high up in the sky? What's wrong with the ground? I think it's really lovely, you know?" the girl stammered while squirming in my hold.

I felt like laughing. Asta's so funny. Makes me want to squish her like a teddy bear. But I won't. Because it might hurt her. She had suffered enough in this life.

"Relax. Just enjoy the view," I hummed, my tails wrapping us into a warm dumpling.

No answer came. I curiously peered at my baby's gorgeous face. She was blinking rapidly, staring ahead with a blank expression. Like a naive dork, she's 'enjoying the view' seriously. I bent down to peck her chubby cheek. While fiddling with her pudgy hands, my fingers happened to graze past a rough patch of skin on her forearm. Frowning, I looked at the distasteful scar. It was an ugly smudge to Asta's milky skin. Although the whip mark has already scabbed over, it didn't make me any less angry. Those bastards! Why didn't I just burn her parents to a crisp back then???

Seeing Asta's bare arms and legs littered with such awful blemishes, it made my heart bleed.

I gingerly rubbed the healing wound, whispering softly, "Does it still hurt?"

"Huh?"

I kissed her cheek while stroking her forearms. It breaks my heart knowing that she's quietly enduring the abuse alone. All in the hopes of gaining love from a bunch of uncultured swines—a lost cause.

"Oh. No, no," Asta frantically shook her head, "it's not painful. Only ticklish."

Staring at her side profile deeply, I blurted out the same question I've always asked in the past, "Why are you still staying with those wretched brutes?"

What do I need to do for you to only notice me...

"We can leave this hell together. Travel and explore the outside world. Play in the streams. Grill chickens over open campfires. Just you and me. I can take care of you."