Act 8 - Why are they so similar...

Normal text
Thinking
Onomatopoeia

Ahri's POV
"Hextech is a fusion of both elemental and spirit magic. Unlike ordinary magic that's only available to people with mana cores, anyone can use this technology. And it's all thanks to hex crystals and the stable energy they provide."

"Haizzz..." I silently groaned while resting my chin on my palm.

Today's class was especially boring. Usually, they would touch a variety of human topics. Keep things fresh and interesting. But this time, the professor kept harping on the same old subject, droning about how 'powerful' their new toys were. Almost fanatically. Which was laughable since being able to use magic wasn't something worth kicking up a fuss about. They're still much weaker than vastayas who were blessed with mana cores. Because unlike them, the strength of their magic would always be limited by the efficiency of their toys. And until these humans figured out how to make their cute weapons convert energy from gemstones more efficiently, their level would forever be stuck at an elementary level. Not lethal enough to protect them from anything larger than themselves.

I rubbed my temples in annoyance, subtly pressing my ears down to block out his voice. Even my head started throbbing a little. I came here not because I particularly cared about the world crisis and whatnot. It's because I was curious about all the recent buzz around this new Void entity. Plus, it also provided a source of entertainment and knowledge about these boorish two-legged weaklings. But now I'm starting to regret coming here.

I glanced at the empty seat beside me. Eve's skipping class. AGAIN. Maybe I should have joined her on this one. If I had known today's lesson was going to be so dull, I would have skipped it in a heartbeat. But I didn't. Because I don't want the other humans to have a bad impression of me. The last thing I wanted was to be seen as a problematic woman like a certain succubus. And the worst part of all this... Now that the shiny attractive magnet at my side was missing, all the repulsive attention ended up on me instead.

After a few more minutes, the old man was finally done fangirling over Piltover's miniscule achievements. I immediately started tossing pointless textbooks into my interspatial ring, rushing to get out of this place. However, I didn't get very far before the first annoying creature popped out.

"Ahri."

I internally cringed. I recognised this voice. It's the thick-skinned boy who kept bothering me ever since I stepped foot in this academy. The one who girls constantly scream brainlessly over his blond hair, blue eyes. The clown who never ceased to amaze me with the rubbish pick-up lines constantly spewing out of his mouth. Just because he's a little popular, he let it get over his head and thought he's some holy being that I should care about. I don't. Far from it. If we weren't in Piltover where there were overly-strict rules imposed everywhere, I would have straight up eaten him and called it a day. Not quietly let him bug me non-stop.

I raised an eyebrow, "Can I help you?"

The boy smiled smugly and fished out a bouquet of worthless roses, "Yes. I like you, Ahri. Be my girlfriend."

This again! How many times has it been already???

His crude mating calls were getting on my nerves. Especially the irritating smirk on his face. The arrogance in his tone, as if I was lucky to be chosen by him. The absurdity! He reminded me of the foolish fox runt who thought he's the world's greatest gift just because he's a tad bit stronger amongst the litter. I hate creatures like him. It only served to dredge up unpleasant memories of the times when I'm naive enough to try and please that feeble thing. He had nothing going on for him. Only stupidity and ego. Just like this boy in front of me. I don't see anything noteworthy about him. Aside from the slightly leaner muscles, he's so weak that it's downright comical. He couldn't even give me a good reason to pick him over others! What's flowers and tiny stones on strings going to do? Suddenly make him less useless??? Idiots like him would never survive the harsh wilderness of Ionia. He'd be the first to be eaten. Besides, the one thing he had going for him-his looks-weren't even that impressive. I'd much rather prefer someone soft and cute, with black hair and eyes...