Chapter 36

NATHAN

"Oh fuck", Dad lets out as his phone lights up with a text.

"Everything okay?", I ask him worried. Uncle Jacob has already appeared at his side and starts smirking bright. Jacob and my Dad have forever been friends, so if he's smirking, that shows me it ain't something as wrong.

"Someone's pissed", he tells us, mostly smirking at Uncle Noah next to me. The four of us decided to go to a football game today, before Livie and I leave for Cordelia tomorrow. We're going there one day before the coronation, while the rest will arrive in Cordelia's official plane on the Coronation Day.

"Are you sure you're alright?", I repeat, starting to get a bit worried for Dad. Noah apparently too since he stands up and goes snatch the phone out of his hands.

"Keep your son away from daughter, West", he reads. It doesn't take me much to figure out who sent the text.

"Are you in trouble with Uncle Alec, Dad?", I ask him. He pats me on the shoulder and offers me an encouraging smile.

"Relax, I am definitely not in trouble with Alec."

"Honestly, what the fuck were you thinking  together with a knife emoji", Noah continues reading. He then throws Dad an amused look. "You sure about that?"

"Pass me the phone", Dad says, reaching out his hand. Noah rolls his eyes once and passes him the phone.

"You show him, Caden", Jacob says encouraging. "You still want me to keep those daisies on speed-dial?", they do an inside joke neither Noah and I understand.

Dad shows him the middle finger as he starts typing. I sneak at his back so I can see what he texts him, Noah and Jacob doing the same.

"My son is the best guy your daughter will ever get."

"Ouch, not good, Cady-baby", Jacob mutters, somehow already munching on some popcorn. As he sees the surprise on my face, he offers some to me. I politely refuse and he shrugs.

"Your son needs to stay five freaking miles away from my little fox", Alec continues.

Dad scoffs annoyed and continues typing.

In the end, their conversation looked like this:

ALEC: Your son needs to stay five freaking miles away from my little fox.

DAD: You have no fucking clue just how much he loves her.

ALEC: You piece of shit, Livie deserves the world.

DAD: And that's what Nathan will give her. Do you think I wanted my son to fall in love with your daughter? Just look at his future father-in-law.

ALEC: Crossing a line, West.

DAD: You crossed fifty as you decided to text me. I'm blocking your number.

ALEC: Then I'll start placing threats in your car.

DAD: You wouldn't do that...

ALEC: I know your family.

DAD: Get some mental fucking help, Dunn.

ALEC: Promise me Nathan won't do anything wrong to Livie and I'll let you live.

DAD: Wow, overprotective much.

ALEC: Shut up and swear.

DAD: I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

ALEC: Good one, West. (creepy bored emoji) Now swear.

DAD: Fine. I swear Nathan will be the best boyfriend Livie could get.

DAD: Happy now?

ALEC: Alright.

ALEC: I got tickets to the New York Jets tomorrow. You can invite the rest of the minions.

DAD: Seriously? You're fucking brilliant, Dunn!

ALEC: See you tomorrow. Try not to do something stupid til then, I am not in the mood of bailing you out of jail.

DAD: I am always a good boy (blushing emoji)

ALEC: *The user blocked this number*

"Wait, what just happened?", I ask Dad, staring speechless at the screen.

"Oh, he'll unblock me tomorrow when he realizes he needs this number to send me the tickets", Dad answers matter-of-factly. I look at him surprised. He can't stop but chuckle. "Welcome to the family, Nathan."