Chapter 2

OLIVIA

"He seems cute", Yvonne tells me, pointing with her eyes in one direction, somewhere on the race field. I let out a chuckle and walk together with her closer to the railing, her holding me by the arm.

"The man or the horse?", I ask her to make a joke as I finally realized who she was meaning.

Yvonne lets out a laughter and counters: "Yeah, I forgot how fun you could be, Liv. I am glad I came here today."

I nod and flash her a smile. "I am also glad you came."

I really mean it. Yvonne might be the only person my age I am befriended with here that doesn't hate me. She's also the only one Karl and the other members of the palace don't mind me hanging out with, since she's part of the elite. Her father is Max Pruitt, the CEO of one of the most important banks in Cordelia. Her mother is a gorgeous Korean supermodel, Hannah Cho. Yvonne herself followed her mother's footsteps and also became model and fashion influencers. We first met at the Parisian Fashion Week and she's been one of my best friends since.

We both nod acknowledging at some people greeting us and make our way to the stands, since the race is about to begin soon. As princess, it is one of my duties to attend the official state events. The Horse Racing Tournament happens to be one of them. Which means I'll have to be here for the next few evenings every day. I am lucky I like horse-back riding and this isn't boring. And now, I am even luckier I have Yvonne with me and not only Stefan.

We walk up the staircase followed by my two bodyguards. There is a special lodge reserved for the royal family and its guests. Stefan is already there together with some guy I have never seen before. He's tall, some dark hair and a pair of blue eyes that seem to resemble the ice. Kinda the opposite to how Stefan looks like. Stefan has some blonde hair, together with some brown eyes. He's been called the country's most wanted bachelor's for the fact he's apparently "hot" and is waiting in the line to the throne. I laugh myself hoarse as some women at the galas we attend to come to me asking me whether I could help them get in conversation with Stefan. I usually politely decline. They sometimes get upset. What they don't know is that I am doing them all a favor.

Stefan might have a face of an angel, but there is the devil hidden beneath.

I know damn well what I am speaking.

Stefan meanwhile noticed me and Yvonne and puts on his polite mode. So do I. It's all for the show. Who we are outside of the castle it's like a masquerade ball. It's all a mask. What lies beneath are truths so well-hidden and twisted someone might need years to fully get to know us.

"Olivia, Miss Pruitt", Stefan greets us, kissing our hands like a gentleman. I quickly check with my eyes if my glove is sitting alright. I always wear elbow-long gloves when going out with him. I hate the idea of having him lips on my skin. I didn't use to wear them. However, I also didn't think I'll be in a hospital for over two months some time ago.

Sometimes, things don't go the way we planned.

"I'd try to be nice but why bother", Yvonne tells him. She's one of the only ones who knows the truth. She completely dismisses Stefan and turns to the new guy. "Yvonne Pruitt, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Olivia's friend."

I smile and wrap an arm around her shoulders to make it clear.

The guy smiles at us. "Fernando De Garas", he introduces himself, speaking with an accent. "I'm Stefan's friend."

"My pity", Yvonne mumbles.

The guy's mouth twitches brighter.

A horn announces the beginning of the race. Yvonne and I nod at the two guys and walk closer to the railing to get a better look of the race field. The usual jockeys are here. The Cordelians, the Brits, the Americans, the French, the Germans and the Spanish. Melarez is in the lead, yet Alderidge is closing up on him. He's the one who won the last race. Something tells me he'll win this one as well.