Chapter 8

OLIVIA

"Olivia, you need to relax", Thomas says as he's yet again leaning over the table to kiss my temple.

I can hear yet again the sound of someone taking a picture.

"But they are all looking", I mouth to him.

He winks at me and kisses my temple again. Another picture. "So, who cares? You're a big girl. You should do whatever you want. Don't let others tell you who you are."

"Livie"

"No", I say, hiding under the blanket. Five seconds later he's taking the blanket off, revealing my face. I stare back into his. Those deep eyes, the green meeting the blue. His hair is still wet from training. Yet he still came to our usual spot.

"Princess", he tries again.

I start shaking my head and take back the blanket from him. I can hear him sigh both exhausted and amused as he lifts the blanket up a bit and crawls next to me.

"Livie", he whispers.

I don't know what to do, so I meet his eyes again. If I ever had to call somewhere my safe space, it would be his eyes. There is nowhere safer as your best friend's eyes.

"What's wrong?", he asks me.

I sigh and I want to hide again.

"Just close your eyes and don't look", I tell him.

He chuckles.

I don't back down.

And since he knows me ever since the day I was born, he knows that I won't ever back down. He's only four months older than me. Has been my best friend ever since I was small. I don't know how my life would look like without him.

He closes his eyes.

"What happened?", he asks me again.

I don't think I have ever heard a more reassuring tone.

"But what if they won't like who I really am?", I ask him. I don't know how our conversation got so deep. I am not even past my first cup of coffee. Truth is, I haven't eaten or drunk anything since I arrived. Thomas already drank his first espresso and is working his way down his carrot cake now, but all I've been doing is merely play with my fork, faking attempts of wanting to lift it and bring it to my mouth. I also don't remember ever stirring as much in a coffee.

"I do", he whispers to me.

I look up at him, not believing what I just heard.

"I do. I like you. Like a lot", he repeats.

"What?", I can hear my voice breaking.

Thomas only chuckles and nods. "Are you going to make me tell you a list of every reason for which I like you?"

"No", I answer, although my tone points more towards a yes.

He laughs now, rolling his eyes amused. "I like you, Olivia, for every time you make me smile. For how you're always so confident. But mostly for how you make my heart race. And how I could never stop looking at you."

I think my cheeks are pink right now from his confession.

Thomas makes me a sign to come closer to him. I lean my head so that it's one inch away from his.

"What now?", I ask him.

"I think I want to kiss you", he answers.

He wants to what?! "You want to what?!"

"I want to kiss you", he repeats, no sign of doubt.

I can't have him do this. "Thomas...", I breathe.

"Olivia", he replies in the same tone.

"There is no going back", I tell him. "You kiss me now, the world will know. You'll no longer have your peace and quiet. There will be people with cameras looking for you, coming for us on our dates. Are you sure that's something you'd like?"

A devious smirk grows on his face. "Dates, you said? Like in plural?"

I don't know why, but my heart is racing. "Dates. Plural."

He doesn't answer, only crashes his lips against mine. That's all the answer I need. I can hear some people in the crowds gasping around us, but I only pull him closer.

For some reason, this feels okay. Like I'll be okay.