16.

ღ⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇ღ

chris ran after the girl, losing her through the crowds. he cursed to himself as he reached the front door, pushing through the group of people standing there. he stood on the drive for a moment, looking around, and then he saw the brunette girl.

she was sitting on the gravel at the very end of the drive just a few metres from the gates, where nobody else was around. he felt a sense of relief when he noticed her, but that was very quickly replaced with anger. how could she run away? it was a busy party, and he didn't know where she was going.

he walked down, standing next to her, but she didn't look up, even when he yelled at her.

''what the fuck, millie?!''

''not now, chris.''

''why did you run away from me?! what if i couldn't find you again?!''

she didn't bother to reply.

''look at me!'' he said, grabbing her arm and trying to pull her up.

she looked at him angrily, her face clearly tear-stained. ''get off of me, you weirdo!''

he let go in complete surprise, all of his anger disappearing as he immediately sat down next to her. ''millie? don't cry...i'm sorry, i was just worried about you.''

''i'm not crying because of you, idiot.'' she scoffed, wiping her nose roughly. ''but if you yell at me again, i'll get jayden to kick your ass.''

''i'm sorry.'' he said guiltily. ''why are you crying?''

she was quiet for a moment and then looked at him. ''summer was jealous.''

''i know.''

''but jayden wasn't.''

chris suddenly felt a wave of guilt hit him. he had been so busy trying to piss off summer, he hadn't even thought to help millie and, when he realised it was working on the blonde girl, he disregarded the brunette. he didn't even ask if she thought it worked - he had just spoken about summer.

''shit. i'm sorry, mill.'' he replied.

''he's never going to be jealous! he's never going to like me!''

''we can keep trying-''

''there's no point!'' she said, her eyes full of tears. ''why aren't i good enough? why is he fighting for summer when i'm right here?''

chris didn't even know what to say. he just sighed, pulling millie into him. she put her arms around him, hugging him tightly as she cried. he wrapped his arm around her, making sure she was close to him.

''you're more than good enough.''

''i don't know, chris.''

''i do! you're perfect, millie! you literally didn't even like me and you still agreed to help me! i don't think anybody else would do that.''

she laughed slightly, wiping her eyes. ''that is true.''

''exactly! you're fucking cool, mill, and jayden knows that. you're his best friend...he wouldn't be best friends with you if he didn't fuck with you.''

she smiled lightly. ''thanks, chris.''

''you okay now?''

''i just...it sounds stupid.''

''tell me.''

''i just feel like...you and jayden are both fighting over summer and it's like, am i not pretty enough? is summer so much prettier than me?''