8.

ღ⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇ღ

jayden arrived at the brunette girl's house in record time. he had basically shoved summer out of the house, telling her he needed to see his best friend, and drove as quickly as he could. the thing about jayden was, he didn't really care about anyone unlike millie, who just had to care about everyone and everything.

but he did care about millie. he cared about her more than he even liked to admit because it scared him. she was the sister he never had, the best friend he never wanted. she had come into his life exactly when he needed her, and he was always going to repay her for that. it didn't matter who he was with, she was always going to come first.

he rang the doorbell, and she called him, asking him to come up. he let himself into her house, rushing up the stairs and going into her bedroom. she was in bed, but she was sat up, and she was crying. 

''mill? what's wrong?'' he asked, sitting on the bed next to her.

''i don't even know why i'm crying.'' she scoffed, wiping her nose angrily.

''what happened?''

''summer broke up with chris.''

''you're crying over that?'' he asked doubtfully. he knew his best friend care more than she should, but he didn't know it was that bad.

''no! chris was mean to me because of it.''

''what did he say to you?''

''he said it's my fault. it's not my fault, is it, jayden?''

jayden was furious at chris - he wanted to go to his house and kick his ass for making millie cry - but he knew that wouldn't help anybody right now. instead, he scoffed and shook his head.

''no! how the fuck would it be your faut, millie?''

''i don't know but-''

''it's not.'' he said, and then sighed lightly. ''look, chris is going to be blaming anybody that he can but the truth is, summer hasn't been in love with him for a long time.''

''how long is a long time?''

''like four months but she didn't want to break up with him until she was completely sure.''

''so...it's not our fault?''

''it's definitely not yours, millie, and it's not really mine. i like summer, but i wouldn't have bothered with her if she was dating chris. he can call me a homewrecker, but i'm really not.''

she nodded, wiping her tears. ''i'm sorry i made you come over.''

he smiled. ''stop crying over chris sturniolo. you're so much better than him.'' 

she laughed slightly. ''i know i am.''

''exactly.''

millie didn't want to ask her next question, but it had been in her brain since the moment chris announced the break-up. she knew she wouldn't like the answer, but an answer was better than the unknown. she looked at her best friend, the guy she had always loved, and almost sighed as she spoke.

''so, are you dating summer now?''

''no...i said she should take a few days first. i know she didn't love chris anymore, but they were together for two years. i don't want to date her immediately.''

''but you will end up dating her?''

''yeah.''

millie tried not to, but she saw the small smile on his face, and that gave him away. he could pretend he didn't care, but he did. he liked summer a lot. the brunette girl felt tears clouding her eyes - she just wanted him to love her. why wasn't she good enough for him? why couldn't he think of her the way he thought of summer?