• Ch 20 A Match Made in Hell •

Start from the beginning

"Just some crazy bloke who wanted Rutherford as an ingredient." I said as we drove off.

*   *   *

The next day, I bade my dad and Ella good-bye, and rushed onto the train with Rutherford. I began to search for Aura, Ava, Shay and Sage, but instead I ran into Avery.

"Am!" she said upon seeing me, "How was your break?"

I scoffed and said, "Eventful."

We sat in a compartment, and I launched into explanation as the train began to take off. "While I was away at Hogwarts, my dad got engaged." Avery raised her eyebrows, not appearing to be very impressed. "She's a Veela." I added.

"That would explain it," said Avery, "Veelas are nothing but trouble."

"You've encountered one before?" I asked.

"I've had the misfortune to run into one, yes." she confirmed, but didn't expand on her experience. The story sounded intriguing, but she obviously didn't wish to share it, so I didn't press further.

"So... what's up with the monkey?" she asked, and I once again told the story of how I came upon Rutherford.

Soon, two of Avery's other friend—one of which was Gwynn—joined us in the compartment. The other girl introduced herself as Brooke. I excused myself when the three began to complain about Lila and Shelby, their other dorm mates. In the hallway, I ran into a cloaked figure.

Without looking at his face, I instantly knew it to be Severus, based on his signature black robes. "Amarina—"

"My apologies, Professor. It would be in my best intentions to watch where I'n going." I said dully, and began to walk in the opposite direction. I heard Severus's footsteps follow me, and I tensed as I felt a cold hand on my shoulder.

"Did you find a home for Rutherford?" asked Severus.

I turned around, very slowly, my countenance was calm, but inside, my blood was boiling with rage. To ensure that I had heard him correctly, I said, "Pardon?"

Severus's eyes widened slightly as he realized that he had asked the wrong question. However, he could not back out of this now; he would have to endure the mouthful coming his way.

"How is Rutherford doing?" Severus repeated, dreading my answer.

I said, "Rutherford is dead. As for the monkey—he's wonderful." I said, and continued my search for my Ravenclaw friends, leaving a very confused Severus in the hallway.

*   *   *

That night, no one could sleep in the dormitory. So we all stayed up, playing games and chatting when we all heard a loud thud.

"What was that?" I asked.

"Dunno," said Aura, "Wanna investigate?"

Ten minutes later found Aura, Ava, Sage, Shay and I in an empty corridor, lit only by dim moonbeams.

"I don't like this," said Sage.

"Shh. We're only going to be in trouble if we get caught." said Aura.

"I think the noise came from over there," I said, gesturing to the left. We sneaked into a corridor, where I could faintly hear voices.

"Let's get a bit closer." Ava whispered. Once we were a bit closer, I could make out two voices.

"Why should I trust you?" Severus. What was he doing up? And who was he talking to?

"Because of this—" the voice paused, I assume to show something to Severus. "The Dark Lord requires your assistance."

That was Cecil. What did she mean, "The Dark Lord requires your assistance"? Surely Severus isn't going back to You-Know-Who's side?

"I have already begun collecting ingredients. However, I am unsure of the procedure." said Severus. Was that what that vial he picked up in Knockturn Alley was for? Was that the reason he wanted a dead monkey?

"You will do it, then?" asked Cecil.

"I'll do it," Severus agreed. Soon, we heard a noise echoing through the almost-empty corridor.

"That's footsteps! Go!" whispered Shay. We all quickly tiptoed away, back up to our dorm.

"Cecil is in cahoots with You-Know-Who?" asked Sage.

"Snape's a Death Eater!" said Ava.

"Cecil and Snape—that's a match made in hell." said Aura. She looked at me and quickly apologized.

"It's probably not as bad as it sounded," I said. They all looked at me weirdly.

"Severus is a double-agent, he's good. As for Cecil...we already knew there was something up with her. Now we can report her to Dumbledore!"

"How would we? 'Hey Dumbeldore, we were sneaking around the other night and heard Cecil admit she's buddies with You-Know-Who!'" said Ava.

"How could Snape help You-Know-Who, anyway? He's dead." said Sage.

That's when I realized it. You-Know-Who wasn't dead. Severus wasn't just telling me conspiracies the other night; he was warning me.

I guess my face turned pale, because Shay asked me if I was all right. "Yeah," I said distractedly. "Just—just tired. It's been quite a night."

Ava appeared to be concerned. "You sure? I can run you by the Hospital Wing tomorrow morning."

"Really, I'm fine."

They eventually let it go, and retired for the night. I, however, couldn't sleep. I knew Severus was a double-agent,  but helping You-Know-Who back to full health seemed rather suspicious. I'd have to keep careful watch of him...

A/N: Sorry I took so long to update; I got buried in make-up work and exams. But now that school is out, I'll be updating more frequently! Also, I'd like to thank you all for sticking with this story for as long as you have. I cannot believe how well-received this story is, and how dedicated its readers are.