Chapter 26: Trust

#DS7Unbalanced #InoCent #SMCouple #DaggerSeries

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: TRUST

TIARA'S POV

I can't tear my eyes away from her. She looks so frail, so far from the cheerful woman who always seemed to radiate happiness and light.

Through the books and through the short time that I got to know her, I witnessed how warm of a person she is. Lucienne didn't have a lot before. She only has herself. What happened to her—the darkness that she once had in her life—didn't destroy her. It didn't make her bitter. It didn't make her resentful. Then life took a turn, and she was given people who became her family.

Most people who go through life, especially if it's as difficult as she went through, would have faced life in an almost guarded way. And yet she was always open, always welcoming.

She made me feel like I had a friend. Like I belong. Looking at her now in the hospital bed, I am struck by the reality that she wouldn't be here, she wouldn't have been shot if we hadn't met in the first place.

My lips trembled at the same time that tears filled my eyes. Nagbaba ako ng tingin sa magkasalikop ko na mga kamay. I'm wringing them together so hard that they're all red.

I heard the door open. I didn't turn to the sound. I know who it will be. I don't need to look to confirm it. When he's around, it's hard to miss his presence.

Domino pulled a chair over, and he sat beside me. Inabot niya ang kamay ko. He gently prys my hand away from the other and replaces it with his own, intertwining them together. "She's going to be okay, doll."

"That's good." Even to my ears, my voice sounded hollow.

"It's not your fault." He tugged my chin so that I had no choice but to look at him. He searched my face for a moment, and I could see worry flashed in his eyes. "You have to know that. No one's blaming you."

I know that he really believes that. Minsan na niyang sinabi sa akin ang mga salita na iyon. That it's not my fault. That the only ones who should be at fault are the people behind this.

I understand his point. I could see it. I wouldn't wish any of this on anyone else's, much more on myself. It's not like I wanted all these problems to fall on me. But no matter what he says, it doesn't erase the fact that I'm at the center of all this chaos, and they wouldn't be pulled into this if I wasn't in their lives.

"Tiara—"

"How did this happen? No one knew that I would be there."

Rage burned in his eyes instantly. "Everyone at Dagger is being debriefed. We are not ruling out the possibility that Dagger has a mole, but as far as we can see it, it's highly unlikely."

"Then that only means one thing."

He opened his mouth as if to try and deny what I clearly meant, but he ended up just pressing his lips together. He cupped my cheek gently, but I looked away, training my eyes back on Lucienne.