Chapter 25: Chaotic

Start from the beginning

There's a huge, thick blanket spread on the grass. May comforter pa iyon sa ibabaw habang sa isang tabi ay may nakatupi na mga kulay brown na kumot. There's pillows scattered around the blanket, a picnic basket on the side, and dozens of what seem like solar lanterns. There's also a string of fairy lights hanging above the space that is connected to the white projector screen in front of the setup.

"What... how?" I whispered. I looked up at him, and I realized that he's already staring at me. "Why?"

Nagkibit siya ng balikat. "Kailangan ba ng rason?"

With Domino, it doesn't need to have a reason. He just does what he wants to do. He didn't need to wait for an occasion to surprise me. He does it every day as if it's part of his routine.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "You could have at least told me to bring a jacket."

His arms tightened around me. "And miss the chance to have you in my arms?"

"As if you wouldn't find a reason to do it."

He chuckled, not denying it. "Point taken."

Pigil ang ngiti na napailing na lang ako. Bahagya akong lumayo sa pagkakayakap niya at hindi niya naman ako pinigilan. I took off the slippers I'm wearing before stepping one foot on the blanket. Naglakad ako papunta sa gitna at naramdaman ko na nakasunod siya sa akin.

I lowered myself on the blanket, hugging myself, when another cool breeze whipped around us. Hindi pa ako nagtatagal sa gano'ng posisyon nang maramdaman ko ang pagdaiti ng kung ano sa balikat ko. Nag-angat ako ng tingin at nakita kong kumot iyon.

Kumuha pa ng isang kumot ang lalaki at inilagay niya naman iyon sa ibabaw ng mga binti ko bago siya kumilos para umupo sa tabi ko at muli akong ipaloob sa mga bisig niya.

"Feel warm?"

I buried myself in his arms instead of answering him. A content rumble echoed in his chest, and he pulled me closer as if we weren't close enough.

He took out his phone, and he clicked something on it that made the lights surrounding us turn off. Tanging ang mga lantern at fairy lights lang ang nananatiling nakabukas. Sounds emanated from the nearby speaker, and the projector flickered to life, signaling the start of the film.

Mahinang napatawa ako nang pagkaraan ng ilang sandali ay na-realize ko na isa sa mga Disney movie ang kasalukuyan na ipinapalabas sa screen. Tangled.

"Are you planning to watch all the films Disney made with me?" Nitong mga nakaraan kasi ay parang sunod-sunod na ang mga iyon lang ang pinapanood namin. "Because you won't find me complaining."

"You love them."

"But what about what you love?"

I thought he was just thinking of his answer. I glanced up at him, and for a moment, I was trapped in his gaze. The way he looks at me speaks volumes. It transcends what words can say.

My heart tightened in a way that is not entirely rooted in something unpleasant.

His lips hinted at a small smile. Sandaling inilapat niya iyon sa noo ko bago niya hinarap ang picnic basket na nasa tabi niya at binuksan iyon. Despite the moment between us that transpired, I couldn't help but laugh a little when I saw that he was holding a bowl of popcorn.

"What's with watching a movie without snacks?" he asked with a raised brow.

"Right."

Surprising even me, I reach out to take a piece and pop it inside my mouth. This is one of the few snacks that I'm allowed to indulge in. It's low in calories. But the one I'm eating now was cooked with butter, so I doubt that fact is true with this one.